Sunday, May 27, 2012

Indy 500

Did you know that the Indy 500 happens every Memorial Day weekend?
It's over 90 degrees in Indianapolis today;
I'm thankful that Utah hasn't seen temps like that yet!
We always look forward to watching the 500 race coverage.
We don't have the time or interest :) to devote hours to it
but like to catch the start, the re-cap/highlights throughout 
and the final laps of the 500 mile race 
which is really the most exciting part according to me!

I've never been to the race 
but my dad and brother got to see some time trials last week.
Maybe one day I'll make it there!
In honor of the Indy 500, I made some festive sugar cookies today.

Here are some fun, Indy 500 facts for you:
Churchill Downs, Yankee Stadium, the Rose Bowl, the Roman Colosseum
 and Vatican City can all fit inside the IMS oval, which covers 253 acres.
The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is the world’s largest spectator sporting facility, 
with more than 250,000 permanent seats. 
The first event at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was a helium gas-filled balloon 
competition on Saturday, June 5, 1909, 
more than two months before the oval was completed.

2 comments:

  1. Love that about Ashley Judd!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitney.......I have always wanted to attend the race just ONE
    time - maybe we could make a family party one year soon. At my
    age I can't wait too long!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.