Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Call the Cake Doctor!

 A few years ago my MIL gave me this cookbook
and I LOVE every recipe I have ever tried from it.
We had a carry in luncheon at school so I decided to give this recipe a try.
It looked easy and delicious.
BANANA CAKE
 Confession: I have a hard time precisely following recipes...
So here's what you'll need for my version:
1 yellow cake mix
1/2 c brown sugar
1 t cinnamon
4 ripe bananas
1 c water
1/4 c vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 c chopped pecans

Mix dry ingredients
 Use the blender to mash bananas into the mix.
I was too lazy to mash them prior to mixing and my way turned out great.
 Mix for 2 minutes on high and voila!
 Pour into a greased 9x13
and bake at 350 for about 35 minutes.
Poke a toothpick into the middle, if it comes out clean, your cake is done.
If not, leave it in the oven for a few minutes.
 Done, let cool.
The cookbook paired this caramel frosting with the cake.
 I cut the recipe in half because I made a 9x13 cake and not a 2 layer cake.
For my version of the icing, you'll need:
1 c brown sugar
4 T butter
1/8 c milk
2-4 c confectioner's sugar

Melt butter & sugar together
Bring to a boil
 Add milk and bring to a boil again.
Stir.
 Remove from heat, add vanilla and sugar.
Stir.
 The icing should thicken up nicely.
Add in 2 cups of confectioner's sugar and see if you need more.
 Keep stirring, you don't want lumps or runny icing.
 If your icing hardens up too much, just put it back on the stove for a bit.
 Once you like the consistency, spread on top of your cooled cake.
 Top with pecans pretty quickly.
 This is a side shot of this really moist cake.
 Great cake to make the night before an event.
 Your husband, family and friends will love this recipe.
It was a hit at my luncheon :)
 Make up an excuse to make this cake SOON!!
No one will believe it's a boxed cake mix (with LOTS of goodies mixed in!!)

3 comments:

  1. I'm drooling over this post!! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake looks so good!!!! I love banana cake and this looks so moist and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake looks so delicious!! Can't wait to try this recipe. We appreciate you linking up with us!! It's so fun to see all of the great ideas and recipes! We hope to see you back again soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.