Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Back to School

 Today marks the first day in 26 years that I'm not going back to school.  It feels odd, unfamiliar and exciting all at the same time.  Why aren't I teaching this year??  I'm taking the year off to stay home with Olive.  She's 12 weeks old, we're living in a brand new city and we felt like this was the best set up for our family.  So I'm trading days spent with a class full of third graders for a scene very similar to this one:

I'm feeling nostalgic about not preparing a classroom and curriculum for a darling group of new kids.  I miss families and friends that I have worked with for the last 9 years and I'm missing new school supplies, smiling faces and students who are eager to learn.  I love introducing myself and my classroom to a new group of kids each year.  I'm going to miss getting to know new families and new students but I know that I will return to the classroom one day and I'll have all of those same opportunities again. 

Right now I'm enjoying the moment, paying attention to the little things and loving my new job as a mom.  I'm thankful to have this opportunity and can't imagine being anywhere else right now.  I have no doubt that Olive will be an excellent student :)  We have story time and read books each day so she is well on her way!  We are also working hard on rolling over, grabbing toys, smiling, "talking", giggling and more.  It's amazing how fast she is learning and I'm excited to be her teacher this year.

1 comment:

  1. Dont worry. You're not missing that much. School supplies haven't even come in yet for some of us. But I am missing you in the halls & lunch!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.