Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Fact: Kids are Unpredictable




I love order, patterns and predictable things.
I want things to make sense to be organized and to go as I've planned them to.  Obviously, kids like structure and routines, but could care less about your daily to do list and the things you've planned.  I find myself having to practice being flexible and spontaneous on a daily/hourly basis now that I'm a mom.  It's awkward and slightly painful (haha) for me, but I think I'm improving and becoming a better mom because of it.

Last Friday, we planned a fun family date night.  We'd been texting all afternoon to confirm plans and we decided to stroll around a bookstore, pick out a few new books, let Olive enjoy the children's section and pick up some groceries to make a yummy dinner at home.  Kevin hurried home from work and we loaded up the car.

We got to the bookstore and Kevin took Olive.  I went next door to run a quick errand and then met up with them in the used book section.  They were having a great time and Kevin was asking for toddler advice on which historical book he should choose.  I left him to choose and we headed to the children's book section.  I usually carry Olive or put her in her stroller, but she's just now starting to resist that.  She wants to walk, I mean RUN, everywhere so I followed her.  I am starting to understand why parents use those animal backpack leashes!  Toddlers are FAST and nearly impossible to catch when they want to be free.

Anyways, We head to the kid's section and have a great time.  Olive named the characters and animals she knows - Daniel Tiger and his friends as well as Elmo.  She was excited to see familiar character faces and loved exploring.  We played with the puppets, the toys and board books.  I showed her some things and then mostly followed her lead.  Kevin joined us and we did a little more looking before deciding we'd go check out.

We headed to the front of the store and Olive had a MELT DOWN.  Not just a fussy, I don't want to do this melt down, but a head flinging, crying, hands flying and kicking her legs melt down.  I tried to distract her with all the cute toys up front and the Easter board books which only made things worse so we exited the quiet bookstore ASAP.  Kevin was in line and I was outside with a flailing Olive.  She was SO mad.  She was beyond the point of reason and was just screaming.  I set her down to see if letting her walk would calm her down and she just laid on the ground crying.

Picture the scene as everyone who walked in and out of the nearby stores staring at me wondering what I'd done to make my daughter so upset.  My face felt flush and I starting sweating.  Luckily, I had a set of keys so I decided to take her to the car.  She's still screaming, real tears coming and lots of flailing (like my arms were sore the next day from trying to contain her).  I tried to give her a snack and a drink in the car, but she just thew them.

I deemed the night RUINED.

Clearly, our fun family outing wasn't going to happen and we just needed to go home.

Kevin met us in the car and saw that Olive was still upset.  He suggested we still go to the store and figured she'd calm down with the change of scenery.  I had tears in my eyes and just wanted to go home.  I said I'd just stay in the car with Olive and he could run in and get a few things.  He reminded me that wasn't the fun date we'd planned and that we should give it a try.  He parked and said that we could just leave if she started throwing a fit again in the store.  I was skeptical, but I agreed.

We headed in the store and she was perfectly FINE.  

She talked to customers, babbled to herself and she was completely back to normal.  I was amazed.  She named food items we saw, wanted to hold the list like usual and seemed to have no recollection that she'd just gone berserk in the parking lot.  She had a great time and we got to finish out our date.

Kevin was right.

Just because things don't go exactly as planned, doesn't mean you have to scrap the whole day.  I was ready to throw in the towel, go home and put on my pjs retreating from the terrible toddler tantrum.  He helped me to see that we can still find the joy in moments with our family even if things don't go as we've planned.

Lesson learned.
The sky as we exited Kroger that night.
I felt like I could almost hear a little hallelujah chorus :)

Linking up for Talk Tuesday

5 comments:

  1. Such great advice by Kevin to power through! I need to remember that lesson even though I no longer have a toddler. I think I expect my kids to be perfect and reasonable ALL THE TIME, when in fact, they're still kids. #slowlearner I'm sorry that Olive had a meltdown - I would have been in tears too! But SO glad that your night worked out great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be something about bookstores! We had an epic tantrum experience at Barnes and Noble a few weeks ago. Glad it ended up being a good night in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the terrible 2's early....This to shall pass.....Love Gram

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I can completely relate. Oh how I can relate. So many tantrums. Always at the store. Always at Target. Always at the LIBRARY. But the good news....they always go to sleep eventually. :) And the hugs and kisses - totally worth it {ok, only slightly worth it} -
    Thanks for linking up with Tuesday Talk!
    -Sarah
    www.sarahefrazer.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such good thoughts- love your honest and openness here. Motherhood is filled with so many unpredictable moments- thanks for sharing at Tuesday Talk!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.