Tuesday, February 17, 2015

BIG Salads

I've been trying hard to eat a salad every day.
Sometimes at lunch and sometimes at dinner.
Rarely at both.

My hubby likes salads if they are packed full of veggies so it makes for an easy dinner.  I don't mind chopping up everything and we all enjoy them.  We often eat BIG salads for dinner if they've got meat in them and as a side if they are meat less.

It's easy to whip up a big salad if you plan ahead and stock your fridge.  I like to buy things in bulk at Sams and have to make sure to eat salads frequently before my ingredients go bad.  I also pay attention to sales at my local grocery stores and try to stock up on carrots or cucumbers or cheese when it goes on sale.  I also try to prepare grilled chicken for several salads at once and keep it ready to serve in the fridge.

I thought I'd share my favorite salads
and tell you how much I'm loving the addition of PURPLE CABBAGE to my salads.
It's lovely and adds some good roughage :)

Some yummy salad ingredients:
turkey pepperoni
finely chopped purple cabbage
sweet peppers
organic noodles
any fruit that's on sale!
grilled chicken

Favorite Dressings:
Raspberry vinaigrette
Sweet Asian Dressing
Light Poppy Seed Dressing
I'd like to eventually learn to make my own dressings, but I've never had much luck with dressing recipes in the past so it makes me a little hesitant.
 
TURKEY PEPPERONI SALADS
different variations of lettuce, hard boiled eggs, noodles, sweet peppers, cucumbers, purple cabbage, carrots & sharp cheddar


 CHICKEN SUMMER SALAD
canned mandarin oranges
strawberries
sliced almonds
shredded chicken with poppy seed dressing
mixed greens


 QUESADILLA EXPLOSION SALAD
(inspired by a delicious salad at Chilis)
mixed greens
salsa - corn, black beans, sweet peppers, onions and finely chopped purple cabbage tossed in one packet of Italian dressing mix.
shredded sharp cheddar
a few crushed tortilla chips
grilled chicken
with a side of cheese quesadillas
Drizzle sesame dressing or chipotle ranch on top




My last favorite salads are side salads
Fruit, nut and cheese salads with a yummy vinaigrette dressing

Strawberries, pecans and shredded parmesan cheese with mixed greens.

 

A perk of all this salad eating...
I've also noticed that Olive is more interested in eating salads since we are having them more regularly.  She can usually be seen grabbing her favorites out of my {giant} salad bowl - noodles, cucumbers, carrots, berries & cheese are her current faves.

Share your favorite salads with me in the comments!

5 comments:

  1. FNC salads are always my favorite! I also like to put (thawed) frozen peas in a veggie salad for a little different texture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious! I just bought a bunch of baby spinach and garbanzo beans to make salads. I was following some online "healthy" recipe - it was no good. I'll have to try a twist on the mandarin chicken salad with my leftover spinach. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd eat salads too if they were these! You have done a great job with making some yummy salads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pinning this! I'm obsessed with salads and love new ideas!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.