Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Thanksgiving Leftover Soup

I know I can't be the only one who has a refrigerator full of Thanksgiving leftovers days after Thanksgiving.  Who else has leftovers!?!?

I was inspired to make a Thanksgiving leftover soup after seeing this recipe:

Creamy Turkey Wild Rice Soup by The Food Charlatan

I loved the idea of that soup, but didn't have all the fresh herbs on hand.  I wanted to come up with a recipe that would reinvent my Thanksgiving leftovers without breaking the bank.  My recipe works with your Thanksgiving leftovers and many things you likely already have in your pantry or fridge.


Thanksgiving Leftover Soup

6 c water

3 c reserved turkey broth from cooking your turkey (mine came from my crock pot turkey)*

2 t chicken bouillon

2 c shredded turkey*

1 box Rice A Roni Long Grain & Wild Rice

1 seasoning packet from the Rice A Roni

salt & pepper to taste

1 t oregano

1 t basil

4 diced garlic cloves

1 c chopped celery*

1 c chopped onion*

1 c chopped carrots

1 c corn*

1 c gravy*

4 T half and half


Directions:

Chop everything into small pieces, shred your turkey and add all of the ingredients into your soup pot.  Let cook for at least 1 hour and let simmer for 1-2 hours for the flavors to really develop.

Notes: I rarely save my broth from cooking meat in the crock pot, but several wonderful cooks that I follow on social media all do it.  They talked about all the flavor and goodness that comes from that broth.  They were right!  This soup had the best flavor and I have to give the credit to that delicious homemade turkey broth.

Serve your soup with a delicious crusty bread.  That is my favorite recipe that I blogged about earlier this year.  It makes the best, easiest, prettiest loaf of crusty bread.



Would your family eat this??

It smelled heavenly as it was cooking and my family loved it!  They said I needed to write my own cookbook with this recipe.  They sure know the way to my heart :)

I think this will be a new post Thanksgiving recipe for us every year.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This looks tasty! I used our extra turkey with a chicken tortilla soup mix that had been hanging out in the pantry.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.