Monday, May 3, 2021

Organizing Your Meals

I have something new to share with you!  I always meal plan, but I'm doing something new that is making my life easier in the dinner department.  I am organizing our meals.  I'm going with themes for certain nights.  It makes dinner prep feel easier and I'd highly recommend it.  My family is even catching on and saying things like "Yay!  It's Taco Tuesday!"

 


Jordan Dinner Menu:

Monday: Veggie Packed Meal + Homemade Bread

Tuesday: Taco Tuesday

Wednesday: Free Choice

Thursday: Leftovers

Friday: Take out

Saturday: Take out

Sunday: Grill


It's been great to stick with this formula and fill in recipes accordingly.  I'll show you some examples of dinners below that work in this system.  Grilling on Sundays is a new addition for Spring and Summer.  For colder months, I like to make a big pot of soup on Sundays.  So consider the season when you go to organize your meals.


Monday: Veggie Packed Meal

Big salads, chicken tenders, fruit & sourdough bread.

Taco Tuesday: 

Ground Beef soft shell tacos with all the toppings

or Chicken Nachos with all the toppings.

I served these nachos on a busy night.  I planned my day so that I would have time to prep all the toppings, season the meat and get everything assembly line ready that afternoon.  Everything was chopped and cooked when I had free time in the middle of the day.  This made dinner come together so quickly when we got home at 6:00.  I threw everything on top of tortilla strips, popped it in the oven until the cheese was melted and then served.

Prepping your food whenever you have the time will save you TONS of money.  You won't be tempted to swing through the drive thru or order take out at the last minute if you plan ahead.  This meal cost me about $10.  Getting take out for my family costs at least $30.

Look at these yummy nachos!  Can you notice three different sections?  The bottom third has extra cheese on it for me.  The middle third doesn't have as much cheese on it for Kevin and the top nachos are just meat and cheese for the kids.  That's an easy way to customize the same meal for everyone in your family.

Wednesday/Thursday: Free Choice / Leftovers:

Baked Spaghetti night!  I could eat pasta every week, but my family isn't so sure about that.  They humor me from time to time and enjoy this baked spaghetti.  I made a tossed salad and sauteed green beans to go with it.  I love big pasta dishes like this because it leaves me with leftovers for one more dinner and a lunch or two.

We had couscous as a side dish one night and I made way too much.  I served it as a couscous stir fry the second night.  It was delicious and no food was wasted.

Breakfast for dinner is always a good idea.

Sunday: Grilling

Bacon burgers with all the sides - roasted sweet potatoes fruit, mac & cheese and baked beans.  I love when grilling is on the menu because that means Kevin takes care of the meat and I do the sides.  It really makes my job easier.

Another way that I try to use my time wisely to prep for dinner - my kids are needy the hour before dinner.  They need help with homework, reading, are cranky because they are hungry or they want to be held.  The more that I can do during nap time or during the afternoon, the better.

We really enjoy roasted veggies.  I prepped all of the veggies ahead of time, roasted them about an hour before dinner and then we were set with a delicious side.  My kids love potatoes like this to dip in ketchup.  They consider them french fries and the grown ups like them, too. 


How do you organize your meals for the week?  Could this way work for you?


2 comments:

  1. I am going to have to get more organized with meals now that Grace will be coming home next week. I do alot more burgers and sandwiches with just the guys and me! Such a great idea to make themed nights. Everything looks delicious. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do salads on Wednesdays because I worked late that day at my previous job (salads are fast and easy). Other than that, I don't have set meal options for days, though I like what you do.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.