Saturday, October 12, 2013

Mom Myths

Once you become a mom, people are dying to give you their advice and tips to make you an "expert" parent.  Some advice is appreciated but it can be overwhelming to deal with the barrage of information that is thrown your way as a new mom.  

The myth I'm going to address today is:
SLEEP WHEN YOUR BABY SLEEPS
This concept sounds brilliant but it is harder to do than you'd think.  I love the idea of catching z's when my baby girl does but I feel like the walls will literally come crashing down around me if I spend the day napping.  As a result, I can count the times that I napped during the day on one hand.  I love a good nap but I feel like I just can't partake.  Who is going to do the dishes, cleaning, blogging, organizing, errand running, phone call making or grocery shopping if I spend my day sleeping??  I'm a night owl, so I get a lot of work done after I put the baby down for the night, but there's always jobs to do to maintain your house.  I don't wake up early in the morning and if the baby has a hard night we both sleep in together.  Since I only have one child, I appreciate having this option to nap but I find myself opting to get things done instead.  The only time I do get a cat nap is if my husband is home and can be on baby duty.  

Do you nap when your baby naps?  If so, how do you pull it off and still get things done??  I'm not here to judge; do what works for you and your family is my motto.  I'd also like to point out that my baby doesn't sleep as much as the average baby.  She takes three cat naps during the day for about an hour each and some days the heavens open and she naps for 2-3 hours straight.  She sleeps pretty well at night but I don't have glorious 2-3 hour stretches of me time during the day.  Do your children nap for long stretches of time or are these baby books I read giving me a false sense of what some babies are like?!?!

3 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel better my son never napped that long during the day either. lol If I took a nap it was no longer than 30 minutes. Any longer than that and I'd become even more tired than when I started. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clay doesn't nap longer than an hour a day on average and never has! When people told me to rest when he did I alternated between wanting to punch them and asking them if they wanted to come clean for me. Biggest myth ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I was never able to sleep while the baby is sleeping. I always had to much to do, chores, dinner, or just taking a shower. I was just tired all the time.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.