Saturday, July 7, 2012

Key Lime Pie

I recently purchased some key limes 
and I realized this week that I hadn't used them yet.
Luckily, my good friend Martha e-mailed me a recipe for

I wanted to make a pie so I made a few adjustments to the recipe.

You'll need 1 1/2 c finely ground graham cracker crumbs
1/3 c sugar
5 T unsalted butter, melted
3 large egg yolks
2/3 c fresh key lime juice -
the recipe says that's approx. 23 key limes
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14oz)
1/4 c heavy cream
2 key limes for garnishing

*Martha calls for lime zest but I didn't' really care for it



 Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar & melted butter
 Press into a greased pan of your choice.
I was eager to use my vintage hexagon plate for this recipe!
 Smush the bottom of the pie crust first and do the edges second.
*Smush is a very technical term for this process :)
 Once crust is in place, bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

Let me tell you a few things that I learned about key limes:
They are full of seeds
They have tough skin
They don't have that much juice in them so you have to squeeze A LOT of them.
A strainer is a must when juicing them.
 I squeezed my entire bag of key limes but didn't have enough lime juice.
I supplemented with some store bought key lime juice.

 Whisk egg yolks for about 5 minutes until very thick.
Add in a steady stream of milk and continue mixing until it thickens again.
Repeat with lime juice.

 Pour filling into baked crust that has completely cooled.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set.
*I initially forgot this step, was eager to be done with the pie
and stuck it in the fridge.  
About 15 minutes later I realized that I was supposed to BAKE it!
So I quickly stuck it in the oven.  No harm... right??
 Let chill in fridge for at least 4 hours before serving.
 Great texture.
I served with whipped cream and berries.
I ran out of key limes so I didn't have any to garnish my pie with.

Whitney's tips:
The pie was very tart, next time I will cut the lime juice to 1/3 c.
Give Martha's bars a try for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.