Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Celebrating Half Birthdays

Do you celebrate half birthdays at your house??

Sometime in the past few years, I started listing my kid's half birthdays on my calendar.  

Who doesn't love being celebrated an extra time throughout the year?!?  

We don't give gifts for half birthdays or do anything extravagant and this is something we just do for the kids.  We opt to let the birthday kid choose something extra for their half birthday.  They seem to love a little extra attention and love in the regular months.  This could be a really fun option if you have a kid with a birthday during a really busy time of year or a birthday around the holidays.

We celebrated Fletcher's half birthday last week and told him that he could choose dinner.  He requested take out from Panda Express and was thrilled about it.  He wanted the bigger dinner so he could have as much as he wanted.  Kevin grabbed it on his way home from work and Fletcher felt super special. :)

 

Here are some ways that we've celebrated half birthdays:

1. Eat half donuts

2. Donuts

3. You choose dinner

4. You choose dessert

5. You choose the movie for Movie night

6. You get an extra something - play with a friend, after dinner bike ride, bubble bath, etc.

 

Half donuts!

Half lunch.  Super easy - cut everything in half :)

Pick your favorite treat for mom to make!


A few ideas I'd like to try as the kids get older: 

Go to the bookstore and pick out a new book.

Pick a Fall outing to do on your special day (all of my kids' half birthdays are in Fall).

Plan a Fall trip to celebrate everyone

If your kids love cake, I've seen some cute half cake ideas on Pinterest.


We're celebrating Leo later this week and I think I'm going to grab donuts for everyone.  Then Olive's half birthday usually falls over Thanksgiving break.  Each of these special ideas take very little prep or extra money on my part.  We don't even sing Happy Birthday to the kiddo.  It is simply just little things we do to let the birthday person feel extra loved in the Fall.  Easy Peasy!

8 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! You are such a sweet mama to make all these special memories with your kiddos. 🥰. My husband and I surprised each of our kids with a surprise “100th birthday” cookie cake…..100 months, that is! Which is 8 yrs and 4 months. 😁🎊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet idea! I wish I had started that when mine were little!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason, I forget about my son's half birthday (I should put it on my calendar!) but this year I got 2 emails from a coffee place and a restaurant for MY half birthday with freebies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fun idea to make them feel special!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did half birthdays growing up - but I think that stems from the fact that my Mom's actual birthday was December 28th so I think that's something she did when she was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet and special is this?! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! I'm going to tuck this away for our kiddos, since we will have missed lots of birthdays before we adopted them. This is the perfect way to pack in extra celebrations! Thanks for the reminder that these things don't take a lot of time or money, just taking a minute to celebrate those we love. <3

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.