Monday, April 11, 2022

My Winning Formula for Decorating a Room

I'm excited to share my trusty, tried and true formula for decorating a room with you today.

You just need one thing that you LOVE for the room to get started.  

Then you will build the rest of the room around that favorite piece.  

I shared this real life vision board photo for my family room a few weeks ago.  It's a combination of all the things I love for this space.  I gathered them all to work with my inspiration piece for the room.  Notice the pattern mixing, the different textures and the variety of colors I pulled from the rug.  A gorgeous rug will really tie a room together.  And all those layers will help your room feel cozy and comfortable.

1 // Start: Find one thing you love for the room.

Hello, rust colored wing back chairs.

They're vintage.  And dreamy.  They were in my parents house for as long as I can remember and when they recently redecorated their living room, I offered to let them live at my house.  Aren't they pretty!?  They're heavy, comfortable and so well made.  Much nicer than the furniture you find in stores today.

2 // Next, I found a rug that I loved to go with the chairs.  Remember me talking about Ruggable Rugs?

3// Then it's time to shop your house!

Gather all the accessories and home decor you already own to work in your space.  I found an ottoman, lamps, chairs, tables, neutral sectional (a HUGE perk of neutral furniture is that it works with any color scheme when you change out the accessories) and then I pulled some blankets and pillows and baskets from my stash.  I even repotted my Fiddle Leaf Fig plant in a blue clay pot from my gardening stash.  Blue doesn't really work on the outside of this home like it did in our last home, but it works great inside.  Shop your house before you go shopping for new things to save yourself money.


4 // Buy New Items

I purchased a new stool, new curtains and rods, rug, bought a few new pillows from Target and Home Goods and the room started coming together perfectly.  I always keep an eye out for things for a room.  I found some of these things at Sams, online, Home Goods and I even thrifted some of them.  I try hard to find treasures for my house.

I love these light and bright curtains.  They're from JC Penneys home.  That is a wonderful spot to find affordable curtains for really tall ceilings.  They add in some interest, a little texture and they highlight our tall ceilings and crown molding since they go all the way to the ceiling.



It was fun to document the behind the scenes from our cozy, cat approved family room.


I hope this decorating formula will help you the next time you're decorating a space in your home.

Let me know if you have any questions!  Or email me polkadottyplace@hotmail.com if you need help decorating a space of your own. 

3 comments:

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.