Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Challenge Yourself to DIY

Do you have projects that you want to get done around your house, but you have been putting them off?

I decided that I was tired of sitting around wishing projects would get done.  

We've got a new house and it seems like I have a project or a to do for nearly every area of our home.  Kevin was out of town for a few days last week and I set the goal of working on some projects while he was gone.  I had all the supplies and the desire to get them done.  I just had to get the ball rolling.  I also don't like to be a beginner and not know exactly how to do things.  That keeps me from getting started sometimes.

I'm happy to report that I had a very successful week of projects.  I painted.  I used tools.  I also ruined some new yoga pants.  Live and learn.  I'm super happy with the results and am hoping that these little projects will help give me motivation to keep working on things.

 

Project 1 // Paint Walls

Our entire house is painted this pretty neutral gray.  It looks very beige in the tray and very gray on the walls.  After moving in and living here for almost 4 months nearly every single wall needed touched up.  There were scuffs and scrapes and marks everywhere.  It was driving me crazy.

I added this little paint roller/tray combo to my Walmart pick up order and was determined to touch up all the spots.  I'm sure there are better or nicer paint options, but for me, grocery pick up was the easiest option.

Our painters left behind a giant 5 gallon bucket of paint.  I figured I'd be careful opening it and be careful painting so I only opted to change into an old paint shirt.  Well, I splattered paint everywhere when I was opening the bucket.  Goodbye, new yoga pants.

Lesson learned.  Always expect to get messy when you DIY.  Now I've got paint pants :)

I worked during lunch time when Leo was contained in his high chair and during nap time.  I painted in every single room.  I touched up all the spots and it makes me so proud to look around and see fresh clean walls.  Everything dried quickly since it was just touch ups.  I spent over an hour touching things up downstairs and upstairs.  My arms were sore the next day and I was really proud.  It was a great confidence booster in the DIY department.

 


Project 2 // Cabinet Hardware

We did not get to pick out our cabinet hardware and I really dislike it.  The knobs are rectangles and everything gets caught on them.  They're always a little crooked.  I'm going to slowly, but surely replace all of them.

I'm working on our main bedroom bathroom first.  I found these pretty ceramic flower knobs on Amazon.  They were a great deal and I figured I could find a way to install them myself.  I was right!  I just needed Kevin's small drill.  Fletcher supervised because he said he wasn't sure I knew how to use tools.  I swapped out all the knobs and love the result.

It was so quick!  I'm already on the hunt for different hardware for the rest of the house.



Project 3 // Front Porch

I have a confession.  I don't love our red front door.  It looks great with the white brick and the black trim/lights, but it's still growing on me.  I'm going to be content with the red and find ways to love it.  I'm hoping to work on a pretty Spring wreath, find a bigger doormat to layer and add ferns/potted plants when the weather finally warms up.  Stay tuned.


Here are a few other projects that I'm hoping to tackle to challenge myself in the DIY department:

1. Assemble new garage shelves and reorganize the whole 3 car space

2. Measure, select and install new hardware on all the cabinets in the house

3. Use the tool I bought to scrape paint splatters off of all the exterior windows.

4. Wallpaper!!

5. Full sun flower pots, landscaping and garden.  We had almost full shade in our last yard so I've got to learn how to care for plants in the complete opposite conditions. 

 

My Dad is helping us DIY some family room shelves and a few other projects. 


What projects do you need a little encouragement to work on at your house??

I'm cheering for you! 

5 comments:

  1. Way to go Whitney! Love this post! I LOVE those floral knobs, and I really really like your red door!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! I HATE doing home DIY's. I always seem to make the problem worse and have to have someone rescue me. Ha. My mom is coming to help me paint and do a few things around the house this spring, so hopefully I can learn a few things from her then! :) Our house had a red door until just a couple years ago, so I feel your pain. It's hard to find wreaths that coordinate with red. Love those cabinet knobs you picked out, so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted a bright red door! HA Maybe its because we love our Bulldawgs so much ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your red door! You have inspired me to touch up our paint too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our house and door were very similar shades of tan (like everything in the desert). We wound up painting the door a lavender shade, and I absolutely love it. I can see you in a house with a bright teal or yellow shade.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.