Tuesday, March 16, 2021

New School Lunch Ideas for Kids

How many school lunches do you pack each week??

I pack anywhere from 5-8 school lunches a week for Olive and Fletcher.  Olive has been experimenting with getting school lunches.  They're free this year thanks to a grant.  She's enjoyed doing something new and independent.  She checks the menu every day and decides if it'll be a school lunch day or home lunch.

I really enjoy packing lunches for the kids.  I've said it before, but I think it's worth repeating:

I think of their school lunch as a HUG FROM HOME in the middle of their day.  I can't control anything about their school days, but I can pack them their favorite foods and some encouragement for the middle of their school day.

Fletcher spontaneously announced to me yesterday, "Mom, I'm always so excited to open my lunch and see what you packed for me!"

It was really sweet and genuine.  And it gave me some added motivation to my lunch packing duties.  

I've got a round up of some of my kid's favorite lunch ingredients today.

I hope you find a new item or tow to add to your lunch box rotation.

Yumbox Favorites:

Snap peas, cherry tomatoes, mini cucumbers, Reese Cups and Kiwi.  My family 100% swears by the bags of mini cucumbers.  They are so much tastier, have no seeds and are so much better than the big cucumbers.  Walmart and Sams have the bags of mini cucumbers for really affordable prices. 

Orange cheese crackers, cheese balls, Pops potato chips and an Andes Mint.  If I sent any kind of little candy bar, I go ahead and open one end of the little wrapper.  That way the kids can enjoy it whenever they want without having to ask an adult to help them open it.

Lucky Charms marshmallows

Mini pepperoni, cooked pasta Utz Hoops snack mix.

Yogurt and granola - the compartments seal really well and keep the yogurt contained.

I've started packing very similar lunches for both kids on the days they're both in school.  It saves me a lot of time and makes lunch packing a very efficient process. 

These Dollar Tree classroom decorations work great for lunch box notes.  They come in a pack of 10 for $1.

Girl Scout cookies and turkey deli meat have been a hit lately.  Almost identical lunches except one kid prefers olives and the other prefers pickles.

The kids decided they don't care for egg yolks.  So I've been putting yolk less eggs in their lunch boxes.

Half a sandwich, Pringles & Tootsie Rolls.


Did you find anything new for your kids to try??

Do you have any Yumbox questions or lunch packing questions for me?


2 comments:

  1. They all look so good!!! I used to love packing my girls lunches too. It's funny, I remember standing at the same kitchen counter making baby bottles and dreaming of the days that I will be filling lunch boxes... Now those lunch box days are gone too ~ where the heck did time go!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are loving mini-bagels and salami lately. I have one child who claims to be a vegetarian who now loves black beans, taco shells, a sprinkle of mexican blend cheese and lettuce for lunches. Whatever floats her boat and isn't sugary!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.