Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Cooking Classes at Home

My kids love to help me in the kitchen.  They've talked about cooking classes before and I've looked into signing them up for one.  But they're kind of pricey and the menus are often funky.  I realized that if I dedicated a little time each week that I was fully capable of teaching a cooking class for them each week.  It wouldn't cost me anything and we'd all have fun together in the kitchen.

 

Class #1 Chopping a Salad

Look at that lovely salad!

I invited the kids to come to a salad chopping class on Sunday.  They knew we'd be making our dinner salad together. I gave them instructions as we went and they chopped.

They showed up to class with their hands washed and ready to learn.

I gave them each a cutting board, a kid friendly knife and a variety of veggies.

I demonstrated cutting lettuce, peeling a cucumber and carrot and the different ways we usually chop different veggies.  They snacked on veggies as they chopped.  We also talked about how that was okay because the salad was just for our family to eat.

They had the best time!!  Their biggest complaint was that they wanted to chop MORE!  

They were so proud of their chopped salad and couldn't wait to show it off at dinner time.  We all like different dressings so we let each person dress their own salad at dinner.  They tried new veggies and every ate salad at dinner.  This was the perfect way to get them excited about adding veggies to our menu.  

 





 My goal is to do a cooking class with them once a week.  No set night or set schedule.  Just try to invite them to help e in the kitchen and learn new skills along the way.  I'd love to have them learn how to make their own toast, scrambled eggs, chop various fruits and veggies, smoothies, desserts, chop veggies for roasting and prepare all the toppings for taco night.  They also have some ideas of things they'd like for me to teach them.  I can't wait!

Do your kids cook with you in the kitchen?  What would you put on your must learn list for them?

2 comments:

  1. Love this! My kids help with baking a lot, but I think more "formal" cooking classes when they get older is a great idea! By the way, I bought that knife set in your pictures when you recommended it a couple years ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! My mom basically made me her sous chef in elementary school - I chopped the veggies, browned the meat and did whatever else she needed. It wasn't long before I was able to make lunch and even supper without any help. In the long run, it helped both of us! :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.