Friday, April 6, 2012

The Hunger Games

Guest Blogger:  My bestie... Jacque Barnette

The Hunger Games is currently all the rage.
Jacque is a fan so I asked her to tell us a little about the book.
Hunger Games Book Review
 
If you hadn’t heard of The Hunger Games before, I’m sure you have now with the release of the movie (which dominated the box office) and its overwhelming popularity (watch out Harry Potter and Twilight fans).  You may be tempted to drag your man to the next matinee showing (after all – this could be the one he would go to with the killing, savagery, and survival) – however, I challenge you to pick up a copy of The Hunger Games and read it as soon as possible.  Don’t worry – by the time you’re finished it will still be in theatres.

I knew nothing of The Hunger Games when I picked it up – having had it recommended by a friend who sold it to me by saying it was A. one of the only books her husband has ever read and B. it has had an impressive effect on her high school and middle school students: turning readers into non-readers.  I was a huge fan of the Twilight Series (team Jacob) and love an easy, popular read.  Sold.

First of all, this is not a diet book.  Nor is it a romance.  It is a tale, told through the perspective of the young protagonist, Katniss, of North America in the distant future – where war has led to the division of the land into 13 districts, ruled by the Capitol.  Life is pretty harsh for Katniss and the residents of the districts (think “Little House on the Prairie” lifestyle, but where everyone is depressed, over-worked, dirty, and …. hungry.  YIKES!)  The Capitol, in an effort to punish the districts and curtail disobedience and upheaval holds the annual Hunger Games: where two children aged 12–18 from each district, one boy and one girl, are chosen by lottery to compete in a tournament where they fight to the death in an arena, with one victor remaining – televised for all to see.

Did I lose you?  Trust me – when I figured out what this book was about I was appalled…..  but strangely fascinated – after all, how could this book be so popular with such a premise?   How will it turn out?  Are children really going to die?  No really ….. are they going to die?!?!?!?

Suzanne Collins (an Indiana University Alum) manages to weave a remarkable story that teaches its reader the brutality and residues of war – while at the same time inspiring audiences through the resilience and perseverance of its young heroine 
(girl power!).  

The book’s popularity is warranted – I had bags under my eyes from finishing it at 2am on a week night to prove it!!   The Hunger Games received an A+ from me, and I have yet to recommend it to a friend who didn’t love it.  You may, at times, lose your appetite…… but I guarantee The Hunger Games will leave you hungering for more.

Jacque Barnette is an Indiana University alum who currently works for the Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation.  In her spare time she enjoys reading, crafting, spending time with her husband and puppy: Munchie, and following her favorite blog: Polka-Dotty Place.

1 comment:

  1. GREAT series.. I just finished Mockingjay last night.. Tyler and I both enjoyed the movie too.. I am so glad you liked it and you havent seen the movie go see it!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.