Saturday, April 14, 2012

Falsely Accused

Have you ever been falsely accused of something?
It's NO FUN.

While in Vegas, we were driving around and Kevin spotted this antique shop.
He u-turned and said we were going in because he'd knew I'd love it.
Love him!
I do love thrifting and looking for vintage things.

We had a great time.
We walked around and shopped the booths for about an hour.
I was keeping my eyes peeled for the perfect souvenir for our trip.
Kevin was checking out some snazzy silverware, coins, etc.
I was looking at jewelry, dishes, linens, pictures, etc.

I selected two things:
$22
A vintage tablecloth that'll be perfect for summer.
   Mustard beads for $30
I wish my story ended there but sadly it does not...

We paid for our items at the front desk and then left the building.
I noticed that this older lady followed us out.
She was giving me dirty looks.
I tried to snap a picture of the building for my blog
but didn't want her snarly face it in.
She came closer and closer to our car
watching our every move.
We got in our car, backed out and were driving away.
She would not quit staring at me.

I told Kevin to stop the car.
I opened my car door and said
"Excuse me ma'am, can I help you with something?"
She replied by saying, "No, I think you've already helped yourself to enough!!"
W: "Excuse me? Are you accusing me of stealing something?
I just purchased 2 things from the store.
Feel free to take a look in my bags"
Old Lady: "No thanks!" and she huffed back into the store
*I am not a confrontational person but I felt that I had to defend myself!

I told Kevin to park the car and I grabbed my purse (pictured below)
and hurried into the store.
I didn't see the lady anywhere and there was a long line to check out.
I saw a manager looking lady so I went up to her
proceeded to tell her that some lady just followed me to my car 
and accused me of shoplifting!
I told her that I was highly offended because I was a paying customer.

I told her what I just bought, recounted the last 5 minutes 
and insisted that she take a look in my bag.
She said it looked fine to her and that she was sorry about my encounter.
Turns out the lady was a dealer at the mall and 
she has quite a nasty reputation.
Apparently they've had complaints about her before.
The lady apologized again, gave me a comforting pat on the shoulder
 and told me not to worry about it.

I felt a little better but was still irritated/flustered.
I went to the car to tell Kevin what had just happened
and he was pissed.

He told me to stay in the car and he was going in to talk to the lady
and "defend my honor" :)
It seemed like he was gone forever but I waited patiently in the car.
He said he walked into the store and the managers had gathered and
were talking about me & how I was attacked by this crazy lady.
They were saying how bad they felt for me
so Kevin jumped into the conversation and said I was his wife.

He assured them that we did not take anything from their store
and purchased 2 items.
They completely believed him and were very apologetic.
I had my purse and Kevin had a Trader Joe's reusable shopping bag with him
when we were in the store.
We just bought some chocolates and didn't want them to melt in the hot car.
Neither of us touched our bags or messed with them while in the store.

The ladies apologized to him and he said he'd like to talk to the crazy lady.
None of them wanted to talk to her or confront her so they pointed him in her direction.
He walked into her booth and said,
"Did you follow my wife out to our car?"

**I'm going to give you the edited version 
because I wouldn't feel right about typing what she actually said.

"You bet I did!"
"Who do you think you are, walking in my store with big bags??"
"You are both idiots!"
"You both seemed extremely suspicious and 
I know you were taking things."
insert: bleepity, bleep, bleep, bleepers, bleeping, bleep, bleep
all throughout the conversation
Kevin said there was no store policy prohibiting carrying around your purse
and he tried to tell her that we were on vacation and didn't want our chocolates to melt.
She couldn't be reasoned with, so Kevin walked away.

I don't cry all that easily but this whole incident upset me!
I paid for my items and have never stolen anything in my life.
I did not appreciate being treated like a criminal.

I'm working on my letter of complaint to the mall owner.
I don't know that it'll make any difference but I feel like this lady
shouldn't get away with her nasty behavior.

So if you find yourself antiquing in Las Vegas,
beware of CRAZY dealers when you shop at Antiques at the Market.

*Topher could sense the hostility in my typing
and offered to give that lady a knuckle sandwich!!

1 comment:

  1. a belated comment...funny (from the police perspective) story!! You know that I would like to see Kevin in handcuffs; however, a felony conviction would be detrimental to his future employment options as well as ever having that handgun! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.