Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Teacher Mom: 4 Ways to Turn Your Kids into Lifelong Readers

We love to read at our house!

Kevin is always reading several books and I'm working hard to pick up a book instead of picking up my phone when I've got some free time.  I try to always keep a book with me.  The kids love to be read to and the older two are really enjoying reading on their own.

We have some good book routines in place that I thought might be helpful to share with you.

 

1. Go to your local library or book store regularly.

We go to the library regularly and each kid gets to pick out a stack of books.  Sometimes I'll tell them to grab a certain number of books, but I usually just tell them to pick up any books that look interesting to them.  I put books on hold and pick them up for my oldest and myself.  All the kids (ages 3-almost 10) love looking through the library shelves to grab books that look interesting to them.  I don't stress about reading levels or supervising their book selections too much.  I just ask them to find books they're excited to read and learn from.

My MIL invites the kids to Barnes and Noble and lets them each pick out some new books.  They love that!  We've done this on vacation so they have new books to enjoy that week and also at home.  The kids have enjoyed both so much.  Check out your local thrift stores for some really affordable book options to build your home library.


2. Surround them with books at home.

We have books in about every room.  I keep our picture books and a basket of board books upstairs in the playroom.  We've got a shelf for library books in our family room.  Leo has a shelf down low for his books in our family room.  My oldest keeps books on her nightstand and the kids have a shared bookshelf of chapter books.  I keep my books on my desk and Kevin's books are everywhere :)

 

3. Read to your kids.

I'm always reading a chapter book out loud to my big kids.  We're currently reading The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate Dicamillo.  I read most nights at bedtime.  

I think kids of all ages benefit from being read to and I think every parent should be reading to their kids every day.  I said it.  It's such a fun way to bond and connect over books.  It gives you something fun to talk about and tie into your everyday lives.  Even your older kids can build their vocabulary and comprehension skills when you read to them.  We all take turns reading books to Leo.  He knows we have a hard time telling him know when he brings us a stack of books. 

Olive recently requested that we do a bookclub where we read the same book together!  So we're both looking for good book ideas to read on our own and discuss together.

 

4. Model reading.

Show your kids what it looks like to love reading.  Read books.  Keep books around and show them that reading is important.  I try to read in car line, on the patio or in our playroom as the kids play nearby or bring a book with us on vacation.  I love for my kids to see me reading and learning from books rather than scrolling on my phone.  I wish the same for them as they grow up!




How do you set your kids up for success with reading at home?


2 comments:

  1. Great post!! We are huge readers here. I honestly find it personally more relaxing than tv. My husband is the one who is quicker to pick up his phone instead but I'm slowly converting him, haha, by buying him some of my favorite reads that I know he would like too! He currently reads the Little House on the Prairie series to the kids before bed and my 6yo has recently started getting into chapter audiobooks. I found a great series called "Classic Starts," the classics for elementary age kids. She recently finished Pollyanna, A Little Princess, and The Secret Garden. They have both print books and audiobooks. I wonder if Olive would like any of those? I know she's older but they are still pretty higher level, I'm surprised my 6yo is taking them in so well.

    I joined Well Read Mom (an international book club with local chapters) a couple years ago. I thought I was an avid reader before but now I'm reading books I wouldn't have attempted on my own and I love the way it stretches me, both with heavy classics and with modern bestsellers! My group has a text thread so we often text each other through the month to encourage each other to keep going or to comment on certain parts of the book. I love it. www.wellreadmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I just had a bittersweet day packing up the "kids" books from our gameroom for the move. They will be heading to the attic until we might be blessed with grandkids someday. Through the years, we only kept the "special" books that held memories for us, but that was still at least a box of books. I also agree about reading aloud, as long as the kids enjoy it. We read aloud through 6th grade. I have such sweet memories of reading aloud, especially while we were in England. It got dark so early, and we often cuddled up with a book. Have you heard of the podcast Read Aloud Revival? It has some homeschool info, but mostly about good children's/middle years books. I have gotten several recommendations from the podcast that I read on my own as an adult. Anyway, thanks for the great post!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.