Monday, May 16, 2022

Nanaimo Bars

Have you ever had Nanaimo Bars?

I have seen recipes floating around for Nanaimo Bars (a Canadian treasure apparently!?) and after making them a couple of times, I have gotten my recipe just right!  Some recipes are nut free and some are coconut free.  Mine is heavy on the nuts and has coconut in them.  I will say that I do not LOVE coconut so don't be scared away from this recipe.  I like coconut a little and I love these bars.

 

I started with this recipe from Just So Tasty for Nanaimo Bars.  She goes into lots of details and made it my own.

This recipe has 3 steps (one for each layer) that require refrigeration after each one.  I promise they're simple and delicious.  It feels like a very fancy treat without all that much work.

Look at this slice of yum!  I love a thick bottom layer and pecans on top.



Ingredients:

Base/Bottom Layer:

1/2 softened real butter

1/3 c cocoa powder

1/4 c sugar

1 t vanilla

1 egg

1 1/2 c crushed graham crackers

3/4 c shredded coconut

1/2 c chunky chopped walnuts

1 c chunky chopped pecans

 

Middle Layer:

6 T real butter softened

2 T custard powder (I ordered mine from Amazon)

3 T Vitamin D milk or whole milk

2 c powdered sugar

 

Top Layer:

6 oz semi sweet chocolate chips

1 t crisco

2 T real butter

1/4 c chunky chopped pecans to sprinkle on top

 

Directions:

Chop all the nuts, crush the graham crackers and measure out all the ingredients so you'll be ready to dump them in.  Melt butter, cocoa, sugar and vanilla.  Stir until smoothly combined.  Add in the egg and mix nonstop until the mixture is smoothy and shiny.  Remove from the heat and add in the rest of the ingredients.  Stir until well combined and put in a greased 9x9 pan.  Press flat (if this layer is flattened well it will help the rest of the dessert layers to be nice and even) and refrigerate for 20 minutes.

Add all the ingredients for layer 2 into your mixer.  Mix until well combined.  It'll look like a thick buttercream frosting.  Add to chilled layer 1 pan and chill for another 20 minutes.

Add all the ingredients for layer 3 into a saucepan and still until everything is melted smoothly.  Poor on top of layer 2 in the chilled pan and then top with pecans.  Refrigerate until you're ready to serve.  Slice into small pieces.  This treat is rich and bite size is the best size.  Enjoy!


Here's the step by step process in pictures.









 

I've shared this treat with several coconut lovers and they LOVED it!  I hope you give it a try.  Let me know if you have any questions.

1 comment:

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.