Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Kids in the Kitchen: Valentine Treats

I am always looking for ways to include my kids in my cooking and baking routines.  Of course there are times where I'm just wanting to quickly put a meal together or bake something fast by myself.  But I am regularly keeping my eyes peeled for recipes that are kid friendly and would be fun to make together.

Not only is it fun to be working in the kitchen together, I am hopeful that they're learning some math, some cooking skills and some real life skills along the way!  I'd be thrilled for all my kids to grow up to be wonderful cooks!

Holiday themed foods are always a favorite of mine.

I just love holiday colors, holiday shaped foods and a reason to bake treats to share.

My kids do, too!

Last week, I had the spontaneous idea to have the kids help me with making dessert for that night.  I had all the supplies to make chocolate covered strawberries.  We all love them and they're so easy.  Perfect combo!


I melted a couple of chocolate bars in a bowl in the microwave.  I'd highly recommend melting the chocolate in 30 second increments so as not to burn it.  Stir while it's melting to ensure even melting.

Wash and dry strawberries.

Give dipping instructions and then have the kids take turns dipping.  We laid them on wax paper and gave the option to add sprinkles.  You must add them quickly because the chocolate hardens fast.  These are best when eaten right away or within a few hours.  They don't refrigerate very well because they tend to sweat and get sticky.

The kids LOVED helping me dip strawberries.  They even got to dip one or two for themselves at the end.

Let them hand select their berries.

Take turns dipping.


Make one for yourself at the end.

Let them dry.

Plate and enjoy!!

Here are a few other Valentine recipes that would be fun to make with kids:

Valentine Bars of Love

 Valentine Dessert Boards

Heart Shaped Cinnamon Rolls

 Chocolate Dipped Pretzel Rods

I'm hoping to make some heart shaped sugar cookies with my kids this week!

4 comments:

  1. All such great ideas!! My kiddos also LOVE helping me bake...I am thinking we will have a cookie decorating party after school on Valentine’s Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate covered strawberries are my FAVORITE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so cute! I love Olive's big eyes in that one picture. Hey, I'm wondering if you use special lighting for your food photos. They look so light and bright!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.