Thursday, December 4, 2014

Heal Quickly Little One

Thank you for all of your sweet comments and prayers yesterday.  They were such a comfort to me as we were doing a lot of sitting and waiting at the hospital.

I wanted to give you a little Olive update.

Her surgery went well.

Her doctor was really optimistic and her ability to heal, but wanted to keep a close eye on a spot by her thumb.  It was the deepest burn so they will have to monitor it to ensure it heals well.  We will head back to the burn center next week for a follow up.

We were at the hospital from 5am-11am and Olive was a trooper for about 90% of the time.  She was all chatty and friendly pre surgery.  She was curious, interactive and looked darling in her pint sized hospital gown.  It also had tiny tigers all over it which seemed to please her since she's currently loving Daniel Tiger.  I brought toys and we kept her occupied to distract her from the fact she wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything.

I was so thankful her ansthesia kicked in and she was loopy when we had to leave her.  I kept myself together in front of her and then cried as we headed back to her room to wait for her during surgery.  She did well with the whole sedation process and they said things went great.

The whole thing was kind of overwhelming for Kevin and I as new-ish parents.  I still feel guilty about the whole accident and I'll have to write about later on.  I had a whole range of emotions - scared, nervous, thankful, appreciative, doubtful, brave and protective.  It's the worst feeling in the world to see your child in pain and not be able to do anything to make it better.  We did a lot of praying, talking and ultimately knew God would protect her because he loves her even more than we do.

Thankfully, Kevin's boss let him work from home so he was able to go with us.  I honestly don't think I could have gone by myself.  It was a lot of paperwork, details to be attended to and care taking.  Olive wanted to play and explore pre surgery and then afterwards she was a hot mess.  She was so agitated from the anesthesia and so mad that her burned hand had a giant bandage on it, her right had had an IV in it and her ankle had a hospital bracelet.  We had to hold her down for the nurses, contain her, keep her from pulling off any bandages and we were both sweating trying to keep her safe.  She screamed for 30 minutes and it was heart breaking and we felt helpless.  The nurses kept saying it was normal, but that was not comforting.  She eventually settled down, drank some water and we were given the green light to go home.

The rest of the day we all napped, relaxed and played at home.

Thanks again for your prayers.  We'd love a few more for continued healing or super star healing so that she can heal on her own without having any more procedures.


  1. I thought about her (and you and Kevin) all day yesterday. I'm SO glad it went well. Her strong little body will heal quickly and she'll be as good as new!! Hang in there!

  2. Having had a curious child be involved with several bad incidents (including being bitten in the
    face by an Alaskan malimute), I can assure you that you will have more scars that Olive. I will
    continue to pray for all of you! Love, Aunt Vera

  3. The beautiful thing about babies that they bounce back pretty quickly. I ate a bottle of Tylenol the night the first Gulf War started. Here I am, 20+ years later.

  4. Kane had to have tubes in his ears earlier this year, and that experience scared me to death. I can't imagine having to go through something like this. I'm so glad everything went relatively smoothly for you all, and pray that she heals quickly with no complications.


I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.