Thursday, August 27, 2015

Learning to be Thankful

We are starting to do little things with Olive to teach her to be thankful.  She's just two, but she is starting to get the hang of it.  We include things we are thankful for in our prayers and we just got the book Thankful by Eileen Spinelli.  I'll start by sharing something I'm thankful for and ask her if she's thankful for anything.  She's included our neighbor, mama, dada, our cats, her bunny and pizza in her list.  All very true for her favorite things these days.

I was familiar with Ms. Spinelli from my days in the classroom and was excited to be gifted this book to review for my family.  I really loved her book Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch as well as many books by her husband Jerry.  

Thankful by Eileen Spinelli is a darling book.  The story is so sweet and relatable.  It talks to every day people and documents the things they are thankful for.  The story really gets you thinking about the things around you and how we all have a lot to be thankful for.  I love the sweet illustrations and the simple text.  It would be an easy book for beginning readers to try to read independently.  My two year old loves the book and I think it'll be a great book to read with her for years to come.  It's the perfect book to teach kids about being thankful and to kick off the Thanksgiving season.

We made a Thankful Tree last year to celebrate the Thanksgiving season and I'm looking forward to incorporating this book into our holiday traditions.

3 comments:

  1. We do a thankful tree every year and absolutely love it! I will have to look for that book myself. Thanks for sharing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet! We need to do stuff like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also thankful for pizza. Olive really gets me.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.