Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Tuesday Talk: DIY Play Dough

I have fond memories of my mom making us homemade play dough when I was little.  We'd pick the color we wanted and she'd whip it up.  She gave me her recipe many years ago, but I always figured it was kind of complicated.  That is until I made some this week.  It's really not hard at all.  It was very quick, easy and I had all the ingredients in my pantry so it was nearly free :)

Homemade Play Dough Recipe
1/2 c flour
1/4 c slat
1 t cream of tartar
1/2 c water
liquid food coloring (10-15 drops per color)
2 t cooking oil

Cook all ingredients over medium heat until a ball forms.  Mix until everything is combined and continue stirring until it's ready to form into a ball.  Knead until smooth.  Store in ziplock bags.

Olive had never played with play dough before so I was excited to make some for her.  I made it a day ahead of time so it was completely cool when she played with it.  I gathered cookie cutters, straws and plastic utensils for her to play with.

She woke up from her nap and had a quick snack.  I put her fun apron on and let her discover the play dough set up I'd left out for her.  She squealed when she saw it and was eager to check it out.  She felt all the play dough and moved everything around.  I noticed when I was putting this post together that my cat snuck his way into many of the pictures.  Our table gets the perfect amount of sun so he can be found lounging there for a good portion of the day.



The cookie cutters were fun to play with, but she didn't love cutting out the play dough.  Her favorite thing to do was use the straws to poke the play dough, roll the dough with my rolling pin, crumble the play dough and smash the little balls I made for her.  She also enjoyed identifying the letters and shapes in the bowls of cookie cutters.

We are definitely going to be playing with this play dough for many days.  Olive loved it and it really wasn't that messy.  She didn't try to eat it though she did enjoy pretending to eat it.  I also made sure she was well fed prior to playing with the play dough so I think that helped :)


Time to link up with my favorite ladies this week:

Polka-Dotty Place

7 comments:

  1. Love this!! Pinned, pinned, pinned~

    Elizabeth
    allkindsofthingsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to try this for a while! Can't wait to give it a whirl!

    Katie @ Cup of Tea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of homemade play-doh. And the video of her is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom wouldn't let us have play dough. But my youngest sister got some. Not fair lol. There are some edible play dough recipes flying around somewhere, just in case Olive needs a snack. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!! I can't wait to try this with my kiddos! Feel free to check out my site today, I'll be giving away TWO copies of TWO books in honor of Mother's Day. :)
    Sarah
    www.sarahefrazer.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea to use straws and silverware to play with it! We've just used cookie cutters so far. And I need those smocks!!! I wish we had an IKEA nearby!!! -Jess
    Sweet Little Ones

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I need to make some of this for Kane ASAP!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.