Friday, January 30, 2015

Learning About Motherhood

I'm sure I was far too judgmental of moms BEFORE I became one.

I remember thinking that I'd never let my kid just eat off the table at a restaurant, certainly wouldn't ever let my child play with my car keys, wouldn't give them candy, would not keep them up past their bedtime and I know I judged mothers of temper tantrum throwing kids in stores.

I spent a lot of time around children prior to having kids so I felt somewhat prepared to have one of my own.  Well it turns out elementary aged kids are very different than newborns and I had a lot to learn.  This would be no surprise to any parent :)

Here are some things that I've learned about motherhood in the last {almost} two years.
Some are really important, some are silly and some are surprising.

// Not everyone will love your child's name and that's okay as long as you do.

// People are eager to give new parents advice.  Take it all with a grain of salt.

// Never, never, never wake a sleeping baby.

// Your clothing/scarves/coats will all be used as tissues by your child.

// At some point you will find yourself licking your thumb and wiping your child's face with it.  I swore I'd never do it, then I found myself heading into church and Olive had cinnamon and sugar all over her face.  Face licking mom right here.

// You will hand them the keys to play with because the quiet will save your sanity.

// Your child will have an epic meltdown (or two) in public and that doesn't mean you're a bad parent.  Stay calm and they will eventually stop and turn back into your sweet child.

// Shots/injuries/doctor visits will bring tears to your eyes.

// You'll be exhausted after a long day, put your baby down for bed
and then you'll miss their sweet little face.

// Your days won't go as planned and that's okay.

// Your child will get sick, you'll have to sit out of fun things and that's okay too.  It won't last forever and you can make alternate fun plans at home.

// If you aren't good at being flexible, parenting will give you many opportunities to practice this skill.

// Accidents happen.  You can't protect your children from everything even though you'd like to.

// It's definitely possible and quite enjoyable to travel with your children. 

// Your life isn't over once you have kids as some might suggest.  They can easily tag along and enjoy the things you enjoy as long as you factor in their little routines.

// Never leave home without snacks.

// You will think everything your child does is the cutest/best thing and they will likely be the smartest kid you've ever met.  Their firsts will bring you so much joy and you will easily find yourself cheerleading any activity they decide to take on.

// Do what's best for your child and your family not what everyone else is doing.

// If something doesn't seem right, call the doctor.  It's always good to get a second opinion.

// You will have conversations with your spouse that will go like this:
"Do you think she knows how much we love her?"
"Do you think Olive knows we think she's adorable?"
"Do you think she had a great day?"

// You'll start praying for her to have great friends and for her spouse when she's little in the hopes that she'll be surrounded by wonderful people as she grows up.

// You will lose your temper, raise your voice or have a bad attitude and your child will be the first to hug you and forgive you 100%.  Kids are wonderfully forgiving so parents should be too.

// You're going to have to be tough because your kids will go through hard things.  It'll be trying, you'll pray a lot and you will all make it out just fine.

// You'll sing ridiculous songs, do crazy things and make odd noises if they make your child laugh.

// Everything is more fun with kids.  Except for flying :)

// Document your life with pictures.  Get pictures with your whole family, be sure to capture yourself in the pictures with your child and fork over the money for professional pictures.  You will never get this day back with your child so treasure what they are doing right at that moment.  Even if it is making a giant mess or coloring on your walls.  You'll think it's cute one day.

// Write things down and document the big and little things in life because you will forget them.

// Let your kids be little.  Don't rush them to grow up.



I know I have lots more to learn about parenting and motherhood.  I'm taking notes and trying hard to be a good one.  Hip, Hip, Hooray for parents!!

5 comments:

  1. Good points, and although I'm not a mother myself, I've been in some of those situations with my niece & nephews. Oh, and I already have my future kids' names picked out so i'm hoping my sisters/cousins don't use them haahh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! We're hoping to start trying next year after we get married so I will have to keep these in mind, especially about being flexible, I get cranky when things don't go according to the plan. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these are so true! I really can relate to them all. It is amazing how much your life changes once you have a baby. I also had a list of things I'd never do and boy are all of those out the window.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man...I'm one of those judgmental people with no kids. I find myself asking "is it really that hard??" when I see someone doing one of those things I'd "NEVER" do with my kids. Ha. Thanks for the perspective!

    And...Olive has to know she's adorable. You can't be that cute and not know it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love every single thing about this post!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.