Monday, May 13, 2013

My School Baby Shower

My room moms insisted that we have a baby shower with my class.  The kids were thrilled and look for any excuse to party.  The moms spoiled me and planned such a great event.  We had yummy food, fun activities for kids and got lots of fun presents.


 Each child was given a plain, white onesie and their choice of puff paints.
The moms bought onesies in all sizes from newborn to 12 months, short and long sleeved so that Olive would be set up for a whole year.  They sketched out what they wanted to do, put a sheet of cardstock in the middle of the onesie so that the paint didn't bleed through and started decorating.  I also had a parent taking pictures and she got each child with their onesie so that I'd always remember who made which one.  The kids were really proud of them and were eager to show me their finished product.  We left them up on the clothes line for a day or two while they dried.
A sampling of all the onesies:



The kids also wrote "Dear Olive..." letters telling Olive all the things that they loved about me and wanted her to know about her mom.  The kids enjoyed writing the letters and the mom in charge is compiling them into a book for me.  I'll have to post more about that when I get it.

The students/parents could also bring a gift if they wanted to but didn't have to.  I opened gifts at the end and the kids were really excited to come up and help me when I got to their gift.  I was a little nervous that some kids might feel left out but my room mom made a point to tell the kids that everyone was giving me a gift by making a onesie for Olive.  They all felt included and were happy to create something for me.

We also had an open house after school for former students and their parents.  I felt so lucky and really enjoyed being showered with love from everyone.

 This family holds such a special place in my heart and I was thrilled to see them.  I had the older son in class and then I had the middle son for two years because I taught 2nd grade and then 3rd grade the following year.  Two years ago, they lost their mom in a tragic car accident when the middle son was a 2nd grader.  I was good friends with her and the whole family so it was really sweet of their dad to bring the family to see me.  The younger son was thrilled to find out that Olive is actually due on HIS birthday!  We'll see if she decides to wait until June 3rd to arrive.

 Can you see why I might feel SO loved, appreciated and a part of the community at my school?  The families really are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!  I've been so fortunate to have worked at this wonderful place for 9 years.  The time has flown by and I'm feeling sentimental as the year is coming to a close.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! What an awesome shower! Those onesies are so cute too - I'm sure you'll love the memories that come when you put them on your sweet baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too sweet! You are so loved by your students and their families!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.