Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Look at Me. Notice Me.

My kids rarely come out and say LOOK AT ME.  NOTICE ME.

But... Do you ever hear these things from your older kids??

 

Hey Mom - Want to watch me play this cool new game?

Dad, look at my new scooter trick!

Mom, Can I teach you this new card game?

Watch me jump off the diving board!  (for the million time)

Have you seen this funny YouTube video, Mom?  I think you'll like it.

Can I show you all the ways you can play with this fidget?

Let me teach you how to draw something we learned to draw today.

Have you ever heard of this song?  It's good.  Let me pull it up for you.

or a million chatty questions every time you get in the car?

 

The toddler version of this:

Leo just brings whatever he wants - toy, food, book, vehicle - and sits on our laps or pulls us to lead us to whatever he wants to do.  His message is loud and clear when he sits on your lap with a book in his hand.

This was me on Sunday morning.  Up early, surrounded by little people wanting to be near me.


I read an interesting parenting article recently that said when kids ask you to watch them do something, it's not so much that they want to you to watch exactly what they are doing, they really just want you to see them.  To notice them.  To look at them and be near them.  

They are looking for ways to connect with you.

That was a light bulb moment for me.  And something Kevin and I have talked about several times lately.  We always answered their questions and did the things they wanted to do, but reframing their questions and requests, gave me a whole new appreciation for them trying to connect with us.

I'm not particularly interested in games on their tablets or Pokemon or Squishmallows, but I am interested in my kids.  I'll continue to learn about the things they're into and continue to cheer for them as they introduce me to their little worlds.  It's fun to see what catches their attention and what each of their personalities is drawn to.  I'm realizing that this is a way to connect with them now and will be a successful way to stay connected to them always.  Be interested in what interests them!

Also be comfortable with your space being their space :)

 

So my challenge for all you moms, aunts, friends and teachers out there, 

if the kids in your life offer to share things with you - LISTEN, LEARN, LOOK at them and ENJOY connecting with them.

It wasn't long before our couch party turned into all 3 kids wanting to show me cool things :)


4 comments:

  1. Yes! And so important to remember this continues into their teen years. Had I ever watched soccer in my life? Nope. But now I'm a diehard Liverpool fan. Why? My boy is and he WANTS to talk about it. So I learned to talk about it. (And now we're planning trips and matching tattoos around their tagline "You'll Never Walk Alone" - which is exactly what we want our kids to know, right?) Same with so many other things!
    I love reading about your sweet fam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to this! And those "look at me" moments can get harder to find when they're teens. I'm always looking though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We LOVE those couch coasters! I think we have 4 or 5 of them now. My husband is obsessed with them :) We have gray for our gray couch and brown on our beige couch.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.