Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Pizza Soup

I know - it's an unlikely combo - Pizza + Soup.

I promise it's yummy.

I try to make one soup a week in the winter because it is a warm dinner that always lasts us for two meals.  I also try not to eat the soup two nights in a row.  My family seems more excited to eat leftovers when they don't have to eat the same meal two nights in a row.  We will eat it one night and then have it again later in the week.

I first saw this recipe on Carolina Charm's blog and knew I had to try it.   

Here is her original recipe and I'll share my version below.

 


Pizza Soup

Ingredients:

1 lb mild Italian Sausage

1 cup mini pepperoni

1 T olive oil

salt and pepper

1 T oregano

1 T basil

1 chopped yellow onion

1/4 chopped purple onion

3 whole sweet peppers chopped - I used green, yellow and red

5 garlic cloves chopped

1/4 c mushrooms finely chopped

14 oz petite diced tomatoes

32 oz chicken broth

2 cups Prego spaghetti sauce

Garnish with Parmesan Cheese

Serve with bread sticks on the side.


Directions:

Cook the Italian sausage first with the peppers and onions.  Break up the sausage as it cooks into bite size pieces.  Let that all brown and cook together.  

Add in all the other chopped veggies, spices and liquids.  Let simmer for at least and hour and serve.  Top bowls with Parmesan cheese.

My family love bread sticks so that was the perfect side for this pizza soup.

My homemade crusty bread would also be delicious.  I'll probably make that when I serve the soup leftover.  New sides makes the meal seem new.

Would your family enjoy this??


2 comments:

  1. Sounds so yummy! I try to do soup for two meals too, but it hasn’t occurred to me to skip a day in between. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY! We tried fajita soup last week now we need to try this!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.