Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Tuesday Talk: Healthy Ice Cream

I've always been intrigued by the recipes I see on Pinterest that claim you can make your own ice cream with bananas as the base.  I use frozen bananas in smoothies all the time and have a good stash of bananas in the freezer.  We were craving an easy dessert last week so I took the plunge and made my own ice cream out of bananas.  It was delicious so I am excited to share the recipe with you today!!

 Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip 
Banana Ice Cream

4 bananas
2 big spoonfuls of peanut butter (Peter Pan is my favorite)
1/3 c vanilla yogurt
1 t vanilla
mini chocolate chips

Puree everything but the chocolate chips in a blender until smooth.
Stir in the chocolate chips at the end.
Put in a bowl to freeze for several hours before serving.

It freezes really hard to take it out to thaw a bit before you serve it.
Top with additional mini chips.

I had my toddler help me add all the ingredients into the blender and press the blender buttons.  She loved stirring in the chocolate chips and sampling them at the end.

I am so excited to try different flavor combinations to make my own ice cream this summer.
Bananas + raspberries
Bananas + strawberries
Bananas + cocoa
Bananas + cocoa + peanut butter
the possibilities are endless!!

 Have you ever made healthy ice cream before??
What flavors sound good to you??

It's time to link up with my favorite ladies again this week.
Be sure to join us with your best post.
We had 167 people link up with us last week.

 Becky at BYBMG | Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram
Michelle at Grammie Time | Pinterest | Instagram 
Polka-Dotty Place

10 comments:

  1. Whitney! This looks so delicious! I'm definitely going to have to try this out with my girls this summer -I think that have a lot of fun coming up with different flavor combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds good! I just found a recipe for chocolate ice cream that uses egg yolks and I'm excited to try it this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried blended frozen bananas, which was surprisingly good, but this sounds even better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always make it look so good! Yum! We used to have a yonanas machine that we'd use to make similar things like this. Super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because you say it's good I'll give it a try. You haven't steered me wrong yet :D!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually just tried making it this week, but it didn't turn out. All the bananas just turned into little pellets. (I suppose I could pretend it was Dippin Dots then! haha) But I figure that either our 10 year old blender is dying or the banana slices were too big. What size to you slice your bananas before freezing? I really want this recipe to work! I'm so glad you posted this because I was so bummed when it didn't work when we made it last week. I know you'll be able to help me get it right! :) -Jessica, Sweet Little Ones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too would love to hear the answers to the questions you asked. I love the idea of this recipe and wow it looks yummy. Thanks so much for sharing!

      Delete
  7. Love this idea! I believe this will be made very soon with my littles. Have a terrific week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm intrigued by this too... other than I'm not a huge fan of bananas so I'm afraid it will taste like nothing but bananas. Do you think it does? I want to mask the banana flavor as much as possible.. .

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good! I've seen it without the yogurt, which means ib could have it. Love all your flavor combos

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.