Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Classic Buttermilk Pancakes

I've always wanted to have my own homemade pancake recipe instead of using a box mix.  But they always seemed like too much work or I didn't love the results.  That all changed last week when I tried @thebakermama on instagram's pancake recipe after seeing her share her pancake reel.  

They were easy to make and delicious!  Leo ate 6 pancakes at dinner and toddlers are harsh food critics.  I don't buy buttermilk every week, but now I know anytime I want pancakes on the menu I need to grab buttermilk.

Here's her Classic Buttermilk Pancake recipe that I'm saving as my favorite:

2 cups flour

2 t baking powder

1 t baking soda

1/2 t salt

1/4 c sugar

2 large eggs

2 cups buttermilk

4 T melted butter


She recommends mixing all the dry ingredients first and then stirring in the wet ones.  I followed her recipe and her directions to a t and everything turned out perfectly.  I'd love to add blueberries into some pancakes next time since the chocolate chip add ins went well.

This recipe fed our family of 5, but could have easily fed 8-10 people if you are serving it with eggs and protein.  It's a generous pancake recipe.

I try to make pancakes that everyone will love - some at our house like them darker brown, others prefer them just barely browned and then the kids love chocolate chips in their pancakes.

Tip: I prep the pancakes and make them ahead of time.  Sometimes it's easier for me to stir them right up after school, go ahead and make them and pop them in my oven.  I set it on warm, cover them in foil and they stay fresh and warm until dinner time.  I do the same things with scrambled eggs and meat.  Cook it in the late afternoon.  Cover it all with foil and let it all stay warm until dinner time.

I served them with scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon and fruit.  I'm still making my life a little easier at dinner time by using up our stack of Easter plates.  Smart mom move :)


Do you make homemade pancakes?

You'll have to let me know if you give these a try!


4 comments:

  1. Those look so good, I"m going to have to try that! I do make them from scratch and use a recipe from an ancient Betty Crocker cookbook but they aren't really anything special. Your recipe looks like a step up with all the butter/sugar/buttermilk amounts! My hubby will be happy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pancakes were a regular breakfast at our house! I figured out my favorite recipe with the quantities for a 5lb bag of flour and kept it in an airtight container. With the dry ingredients pre-mixed, they were just as easy to make as using a box mix, and healthier. (I wrote out the recipe ("2 cups of mix, 2 eggs, 2 C milk" etc.) on a sticker and attached it to the bin so I didn't have to pull out a cookbook to mix them up. AND I made another sticker and attached it to the other side with the ingredients to make bulk mix so I didn't have to look far when we ran out. Honestly, one of my best mom hacks and such a time saver!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! We love breakfast for dinner! Going to have to try this recipe. Some pancake recipes we have tried were just ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh I LOVE pancakes. I make mine using the Betty Crocker red cookbook recipe, but next time I’ll try this. My goal is always to have crispy edges like from a diner, but can’t ever seem to achieve that unless the griddle is drenched in butter. My mouth is watering just thinking about it hahah

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.