Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Tips for Exercising with Your Kids

For the past almost 10 years, my exercise routine has been centered around my kids.  I'm home with them full time so I have to figure out how to exercise with them or at nap time.  My current exercise routine is walking with my toddler in tow.  We walk almost every day as long as the weather cooperates.  We also go on family walks in the evenings.

I thought I'd share some tips with you in case you find yourself in the same boat as me.  I've walked with single strollers, double stroller loaded with kids, biked with kids on bikes and walked with kids on scooters.  There is no magic formula.  Just figure out what works best for you and your family to get outside.  We like to walk in our neighborhood.  There is no commute - just walk out the door and go.

Tip #1 - Dress in layers.  It was cold enough for jackets this day but my toddler didn't want to wear one.  He was happiest without so I just went with it.  If it's cold I'll bring a hat for him or a blanket.  Then I have it if he asks for it.  He pulls the sunshade down if he needs it or if it's a windy day.  I try to be flexible and now that he's almost 3 let him figure out what he wants to stay comfortable on our walk.

Tip #2 - Pair something fun with your exercise routine.  I try to always build in time for bikes/scooters on the patio after our walks.  That way if Leo asks for his scooter, I can remind him that we'll walk and then scooter.  I usually grab a book and my water bottle while he plays in the backyard.

Tip #3 - Bring whatever you want on our walk.  Some days he brings construction vehicles to check on the construction sites, this day he brought a garden tool and some days he asks for a snack.  We only walk 30-45 minutes close to lunch time so I don't usually bring a snack.  I do keep emergency Dum Dums in my stroller just in case he needs a little extra treat.

Tip #4 - Plan ahead with a snack or with lunch.  We usually end up walking close to lunch time.  We walk, play outside and then come in hungry.  I have found that it's much easier if I take a few minutes to prep his lunch plate earlier in the morning.  That way I can just have him wash his hands and his plate is ready to go.  Then I can focus on making my own lunch while he's eating.  It felt stressful to come up with lunch if I waited until the last minute and he was starving.  This trick helps eliminate stress from lunch time.

Tip #5 - Chat and enjoy your time together.  I do not wear ear buds on my walks with the kids and I never hand him my phone to watch a show while we walk.  I save ear buds for solo walks.  And we don't do screen time outside.  We chat about all the sights and sounds around the neighborhood, stop to look at the creatures we see and sometimes hold hands as we walk.  We've just started playing I Spy and Leo really likes that.  Some days one of us is not excited about our walk and is whiny, but usually we both enjoy the fresh air and sunshine.


What's your current exercise routine?

I keep reading how good daily walks are for your overall health and I know I feel better every day that we make walking a priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.