Monday, June 7, 2021

2021 Garden Tour

We've been working so hard to get our gardens whipped into shape this year.  Last year we had a new baby and so many restrictions in place, that we didn't spend a lot of time or energy on our yard.  This year has been great.  We trimmed things up, planted new plants and mulched everything this Spring.  The yard looks so good.  I'm really proud of it.  Let me give you a tour.  

Let's rewind... when we moved into our house we had one plant- the dark pink rose bush.  Other than that there was zero landscaping.  We have worked very hard for the last 5 years, one zone at a time, to build up our pretty gardens.  Slowly, but surely, everything is looking lovely.

Quick tips:
1. Figure out the sun/shade situation in your yard.

2. Add new perennial plants every year and after a few years your gardens will be flourishing.  We focused on one zone at a time in our yard and built it up a little more each year.

3. Don't be afraid to make mistakes.  Read the plant labels and try them out in your yard.

4. Keep a journal of what lives/dies in your yard.  My yard kills every daffodil that I've ever planted, the soil is not great in spots so we have to dig bigger holes and add in better soil.

5. Start small - learn how to grow one pot on your porch or in your backyard.  See how it does and then build on that knowledge the following year.

6. I've been working hard to learn how to garden since Olive was 1.  It's a process that takes time.  I feel so proud when I look at how all my gardens are coming along.  They're not perfect, but they just keep getting prettier every year.  You can do it, too!!

 

Let's get started....

Walking out onto our deck - my pots are looking so pretty!  They're filling in nicely.

PSA if you need some great water shoes for Summer - head to Aldi ASAP.  My Aldi had these Native look alikes for $6.99 in all sizes.  They had gray for men and white/coral for women.  They're comfy and cute and will be perfect slip ons for summer.


Our backyard is very shady.  Hostas and Astilbe have really loved their shady spots.

I laid this paver patio a couple years ago and I just love it!  It's so pretty right off our deck.


Each year we had some new varieties of Hostas along the side of our house.  They keep coming back bigger and better every year.  I love the mix of dark green, neon green, white trimmed, and big leaf hostas.


This spot has been a tricky one for me to figure out.  The hydrangeas that we planted here all died.  I don't think they got enough sun.  And these shade loving plants have done okay here.  They just tend to get a little sunburned later in the summer.

Let's go out to the front yard.  I initially started planting lavender plants because Olive loves them.  Well it turns out that they love our full sun front yard.  They're enormous and smell so amazing.  We have these giant lavender plants and planted two more on the other side.

Our vintage rose bush, yellow and white yarrow and lavender.

Lantana in lots of colors, Veronika and other waiting to fill in.


This is a giant Limelight hydrangea.  I can't wait for it to bloom.


This was our first area of the yard to work on.  We could afford to buy 2 Boxwoods, one Euonymous plant and the Lillies.  It's so fun to see how well established everything is now in this spot.

I learned to love Lantana when we were living in Mississippi.  They're the sweetest, dainty little flowers.  I got pink + yellow, yellow + white and solid yellow this year.  They start out small and grow HUGE in the full sun. 


Pink Yarrow, Weigela, Crepe Myrtle, White Butterfly Bush, Rose of Sharon, Daisies, Lillies, and more Lantana in this garden.


I'm not a huge Lilly fan - Kevin loves them - but these pink lillies are gorgeous.

I'm trying to fill this corner in with Lavender and Lantana.

Matching pots on my porch.  I went with 5 different plants in each and they're really pretty sun loving pots.

This garden is a little blah right now.  Several things - like the Phlox - has already bloomed.  And the Butterfly bush, lillies and hydrangea have yet to bloom.  I added Lavender and Lantana to this side to help add some color.



We planted a border of tall grasses on our side yard to help add some privacy.  They seem to be really happy here.

And back around to the deck.  These heart petunias are so pretty!  I love the color and I smile everytime I see the 5 hearts on each flower.  Perfect for our family!

This was as surprise combo that I'm loving this year!

And my ferns are loving the shade on my deck.

And our vegetable garden is looking really promising!

There you go!  A full garden tour.  Do you have any questions or problem areas in your yard??  I'd love to help you!!  Leave your questions in the comments :)


4 comments:

  1. It all looks beautiful! I love all the different shades and textures in your gardens. I have one of those five heart petunias on my deck (my only plant), and I've kept it alive since April! That is a personal best for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it all! You have such a great approach to slowly building your garden. Because of you I started a garden journal, and it helps so much! So glad to hear your veggies are doing well too. I added cucumbers to my attempt at growing veggies, and I’m happy to say I have several small ones growing. So exciting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your plants look so good this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how colorful everything is!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.