Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Cats and Kids

 It's safe to say that Olive loves all things furry.  She carries around her special bunny, chases our cats and loves to see the neighborhood dogs when we are out on a walk.

She loves their waggy tails, their fur and especially loves their noses.
She also loves her accessories.  A girl after my own heart.

 Oliver joined our family 6 years ago and was our only child for a year.  Then we got Topher and they became BFFs.  I've mentioned before that they went into hiding for several weeks after Olive came home from the hospital.  They were very afraid of her and her crying but they adjusted over time.  Two moves/states later the cats are adjusted to life in our new place and seem to be enjoying Olive.  They are smart and definitely sleep with one eye open, but I think they'll be buddies.

Now that Olive is a B-U-S-Y toddler, she squeals with delight when she finds them sleeping or finds them hanging out down at her level.  They are usually pretty savy and nap up high or find a bed to sleep on.  Lately, they are letting her pet them and Oliver will purr and rub on her.  I'll take that progress!!  
I will always says NICE or GENTLE when we are practicing petting them.  She smiles and tries hard to do it.  She get excited and starts flapping her hands which is surely terrifying to the cats.  Occasionally, she'll come up to me with a handful of fur and I'll cringe.  Usually their interactions are sweet and calm.  In general, Olive is a sweet little sis.

 Those tails are so tempting to grab!!

 The cats take over the baby toys when Olive isn't around.
They definitely let their guard down during nap time and in the evenings when Olive has gone to bed.

We've worked on loving on and not squashing the cats 
because this interaction did not end well...  

 Some days I feel like all three of my kids are vying for my attention.  I was reading/playing on the floor with Olive here and Oliver climbed up on my back to get in on the action.  Silly boy.  We read stories together and he eventually lost interest and went on his way.

These cats sure make us all smile!!

Give your pets some time and a little space and they will adjust to the kids.

2 comments:

  1. Adorable pictures! So cute. They're best buddies :)

    Katie @ Cup of Tea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe! We have a dog, Koda, that has gotten so much less attention now that Olivia is here. She used to grab a fistfull of fur (poor Koda) so Koda would hide. Now that Olivia shares her snacks with Koda - she is around a lot more often :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.