Thursday, August 14, 2014

Back to School Blues??

It's Back to School time and it is nearly impossible to ignore.  School supplies are everywhere and stores are promoting sales on clothes and backpacks like crazy.  Everything seems to be a buzz with the prospects of fresh starts, new years and lots of learning.  Several people have asked lately if I'm feeling sad to not be teaching again this year or if I'm missing setting up a classroom and getting a fresh bunch of students.

Honestly, I loved teaching so much and I loved every moment of the 9 years I taught in Utah.  I enjoyed everything about teaching - the learning, the teacher friends, the organizing, the planning, the teaching, the content, the students, the parents (most of the time :) and being creative in my classroom.  I have always felt like I was born to be a teacher and I really look forward to returning to the classroom one day.

However, right now I LOVE being a full time mom.

I  enjoy spending my days with Olive and being her mom & teacher right now.  I don't know how long I'll be home with her so I really try to look at every day as a gift and truly enjoy our special time together.  I realize she's growing up so fast and I want to be here to witness it.  The teacher in me is also enjoying referencing my early childhood training and planning fun things for Olive and I to do at home.  She's interested in everything and I am just starting to get busy planning fun activities for us to do at home.  I am excited to work on coming up with fun learning activities, reading books, art projects, music, field trips and other things with her as she gets older.  I look forward to sharing our learning ideas with you.

I think back on my teaching days fondly and feel very nostalgic about my career so far.  It was basically a dream teaching job and I'll always treasure that time of my life.  I like to think about what my teaching job might look like in the future and know that this is my season to be home.
 
 I want to add that I do realize that you can be a teacher AND a mom and many people do that well.  I did not always dream of being a stay at home mom.  I figured I'd probably work, but after much consideration and prayer, home is where I needed to be.  Given our family circumstances, frequent moves, job opportunities and what's best for our family right now, I am thrilled to be able to stay home with Olive.  I think you've got to make decisions for your family and what is best for your situation.  Kudos to moms that work outside of the home and kudos to those who work at home.  Being a mom is hard work and every situation is unique!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.