Wednesday, September 21, 2011

DIY: Sprinkles Edition

Did you know that you can make your own sprinkles?
I ran into a problem a few months ago
where I couldn't find the right 
colored sprinkles to match my party supplies.
I decided to look around online and 
was able to figure out how to make my own.

Get 1-1 1/2 cups of white sugar
 Liquid food coloring is the best for this recipe.
The more food coloring, the brighter your sprinkles will be.
Mix with a spoon, smashing the back side of the spoon 
against any blobs of food coloring to better mix it in.
 Not quite red enough so I added more food coloring.
Don't be deterred... 
LOTS of stirring is required to get a good color.
 Better but still kind of pinky looking.
I was out of liquid so I switched to this gel.

One healthy glob in hopes of getting the right shade of red.
 A little harder to mix in than the liquid.
My advice would be to stick with the liquid
and make sure you have enough before starting this project!
Let your sprinkles dry out a bit before putting them in a container.
 I love The Dollar Tree for many reasons...
You should check out your local one ASAP.
I got 6 or 8 of these shakers for $1 each
and they are perfect for my homemade sprinkles!
Ready to use!

1 comment:

  1. Love that sprinkle container! I didn't have any luck with my firs batch of homemade sprinkles so I'm scared to give it another try!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.