Thursday, January 23, 2014

Sugar & Spice of Everyday Life

I wanted to start documenting the sugar & spice in my life
to help me remember the little things and to help you to get to know me better.

+ Sugar: Olive is loving her toys and is getting better at entertaining herself.  I was amazed to observe her playing and entertaining herself for a solid 20 minutes the other day.  Makes me excited for things to come as she gets older.

- Spice: I stepped on the scale today and wasn't thrilled with the number I saw.  My goal for the coming week is more healthy eats and less treats.  I've been making time to go on walks but I'd like to squeeze in a few more workouts too.

+ Sugar: Kevin has received several job interviews for the coming year and we are working hard to get them scheduled and planned for the next few weeks.  It's exciting to think about what God has in store for our family in the coming years.

- Spice: Olive is going through a frustrating stage.  Frustrating for her and for us.  She wants to crawl, move, reach out and stand but she needs a lot of assistance for any of these things to take place.  She gets mad when she cannot reach something or when she flops in the wrong direction.  She screams out in frustration and looks at us like we need to do something to help her ASAP.  I feel like a human jungle gym 99% of the time because she literally climbs and crawls all over me.  I'm sure that I'll miss this stage when she becomes more independent but right now I feel frustrated that I have a hard time keeping her content.

+ Sugar: We have done a good job of planning fun things to look forward to in the coming months.  A road trip here and there and visits to see family and friends are all in the works.

- Spice: I'd like to get my hair cut but the majority of places I find close at 5:00pm.  My husband gets home around 5 each night and so that won't work.  I'm considering being that mom and taking Olive to my haircut and praying that she'll sleep through it.  I should probably look into weekend appointment options but it just seems like a lot of work.  Definitely a time that I wish I had a good friend in this city.  Womp, womp.

+ Sugar: I've been making time to read REAL books.  Sitting down in a comfy spot and flipping the pages of a good book has been a fun treat each night.  I wait until everyone is in bed and squeeze in a few chapters.

- Spice: Olive has been having a bit of skin trouble mostly on her arms, collar bone area, neck and mouth.  We are trying some new Aveeno Baby lotion to see if that helps and I've been lathering her in lotion several times a day.  She's quickly gotten used to this baby spa treatment and babbles the entire time which I LOVE.  It does not help our cause that she is drooling like a faucet and seems to have her hands in her mouth the majority of the day.  I think teething is the likely culprit of the excessive waterworks but her pediatrician said she'll like be drooly from now until age 2.  Awesome...

Just a little dose of reality from my house to yours :)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like little Olive IS teething. :( My kids have had awful eczema their whole lives, and it's hard to watch when they are so itchy...if that's what Olive is even experiencing. You are doing a great job, girl. Hope you can get a hair appointment soon! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this post! Thank you for sharing your sugar and spice. :) I always struggle with the hair appointment thing too. My stylist in Seattle let me bring my kids. They would just sit quietly and read. (hi. homeschool mom) but when I made my appointment here, two weeks ago, the receptionist made sure I knew that no kids were allowed unless they had someone to look after them. I've never heard of that before and was so annoyed! Oh well. ;)

    Let us know how Olive's skin is doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should see if Krista can get you in while you are home! She has evening and Saturday appointments! :) I want to go in February... We could do double appointments like we did awhile ago!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.