Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Couscous Stir Fry

Have you ever made couscous?

Ever tried it?

I think the first time I ever ate it was in a swanky Brazillian steak house in Salt Lake.  It was a cold couscous salad and it was dreamy.  I have been on a couscous kick for a few weeks after finding a container of my favorite couscous pearls at my grocery store.  It's called Rice Select Pearl Couscous (Toasted Israeli Style Pasta).  It's the perfect side dish or addition to a meal to beef it up a bit.  My whole family loves it.  The kids call it Goose-Goose :)

Now on to this Couscous Stir Fry.

A few years ago I started trying very very hard to not waste food.  That meant repurposing leftovers, eating leftovers instead of making something new, keeping a very close eye on my produce and freezing lots of food before it went bad.  All of that is going great and I have gotten to the point where I can confidently say that we waste very little food.

I had a bowl of leftover couscous waiting for me in the fridge.

I served it as a side the night before with rotisserie chicken (recipe here) and was now trying to reinvent my leftovers.  I knew I had all the fixings for stir fry.



Here's my recipe - no measuring; just dump in as much as you'd like.

matchstix carrots

green onion

yellow onion

sweet peppers

frozen peas or snap peas or both :)

clove of garlic

rotisserie chicken 

olive oil

soy sauce

teriyaki sauce

cooked couscous

 

Cook all the veggies first with olive oil.  Add in chicken, sauces and add in the couscous last.  Heat everything and stir until everything is coated in sauce.  Enjoy!  I made too much the first time and am happy to report that it reheats very well as leftovers.


Here's the container of pearl couscous to look for in the store.  I found mine at Walmart.  It say there are 12 servings in this container.  I like the pearl couscous better than the regular couscous.  It's easier to eat since the pearls are bigger.  Regular couscous is messy.

I can't wait to make this again!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! I love stir fry - it's a great way to use up leftover bits of this and that. Bravo on reducing your food waste! I think the thing I save the most is tomato products - tomato paste, puree, sauce, etc. Recipes often call for less than the can, so I put the rest in a freezer bag and label it really well. I use it in sloppy joes, pasta dishes and chili!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! This would be perfect for my lunches during the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this sounds good. I like the idea of reusing cous cous as a rice substitute.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.