Thursday, March 13, 2014

Healthy Eats

I've been trying to eat more fruits and veggies lately.  Snacking on cookies is my preference but I've traded them in for carrots.  I am working on fixing more salads, planning meals in advance and cutting out snacking late at night.  I'm hoping to see some results, that my exercising will pay off and my pre-baby wardrobe will be fitting in no time.

These are some of my colorful meals:

BIG SALADS
I do best if I buy my salad fixins in bulk at Sams - lettuce, veggies, eggs, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc.  That way I have enough ingredients to make lots of salads all week long.  I also hard boil eggs to have on hand to add in.

 I've been sticking to vinaigrette dressings and tried this one.  It sounded promising but was pretty flavorless.  I won't be buying it again.  I'll stick to my light raspberry in the future.

 Sweet Potato Hash & Egg
diced red onions, red peppers, 1 sweet potato and 1 egg
 Cook the onions and peppers in olive oil until they are softened.
 Boil the sweet potatoes for 12-15 minutes or until soft.
Fry your egg.
 Cut up egg and combine with onions/peppers.

 Drain sweet potatoes and then toss them into the mix.
Season with Mrs. Dash or salt & pepper.
 This was SO yummy that I'm anxious to have it again.  I think next time I'd cut up a few servings at a time, put them into containers for the fridge and then look forward to having some pre-prepped meals ready to go.

Marinated Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
a sweet reader recommended marinating chicken in Italian Dressing to me a few months ago and I've been looking forward to trying it ever since.   I left it to marinate for several hours and was happy with the results.  I fixed enough chicken to have on my salads for several days.

 Stir Fry
grilled chicken, yellow onions, carrots and celery diced up
Sometimes I use a seasoning recipe and if I'm in a hurry I'll use a packet.

 I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was loving cooking with cous cous.  Well it turns out that there are several different kinds of cous cous.  I originally bought the Israeli/Pearl cous cous and loved the large size.  This time I unknowingly got Moroccan and didn't care for the tiny size as much.  It was fluffy and seemed kind of cakey.  In the future I'll be sticking to the Pearl Cous Cous.

3 comments:

  1. I am very inspired by this! I've got two boxes of Couscous sitting in my cupboard right now so am going to try your stir-fry idea. Love the salads too - and am going to try recipe with sweet potatoes this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just tried sweet potato hash for the first time last week, and it was amazingly delicious! I'll definitely be making that again, although dicing the sweet potatoes is a bit of work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those salads look delicious. Please come make those for me, as I just throw romaine lettuce and carrots in a bowl and call it a day. #Boring #RanchDressingPlease You are so professional! Your hard work will pay off, I just know it! Way to go. XOXO

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.