Thursday, July 5, 2012

Kittysitting 101

Cats are great pets.
They are especially great because you can leave them for a long weekend
and they'll be just fine so long as you plan accordingly.

When we head out of town for over 4 days, we always hire a kittysitter.
Any neighbor, family friend, family member who loves cats will do.
Make sure that it's someone you trust and someone that is responsible.

We have 2 go to kittysitters.
I am very detail oriented and love to make lists
so I go over anything and everything that might come up while we're gone.
I give a copy of the note to my kittysitter with our house key
and then I leave a second copy on the refrigerator for her. 
I leave our contact information, vet information, our travel specifics
and list of expectations (water plants, get mail, feed cats, etc.) while we're gone.
 I leave a basket with cat treats, cat toys and other important items.
Topher gave his seal of approval.

The boys like things a certain way
 I leave out double litter boxes because the kittysitter usually comes every other day.
 Double the water bowls and food bowls.
I separate them because my cats tend to put food in their water
and this makes it much more difficult.
We've contemplated boarding or flying with our cats
but both options are very expensive.
Bottom line:
The cats are much happier in their 
home sweet home 
while we're gone.

 I also do my best to make a treat of some kind
to leave with my house key for the kittysitter.
This time I made her S'more cookies.

1 comment:

  1. Whitney, thanks for swinging by my blog and saying "hi"! I love all the thought and care you put into planning for time away from your furry ones ... we have three pups right now, but I definitely miss having cats - I love their independence. Happy travels this summer!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.