Thursday, February 11, 2016

Healthy Banana Muffins

 We love eating muffins for breakfast and snacks so I was anxious to give this banana recipe a try.  Banana Chocolate Chip is my go to banana recipe, but this recipe calls for the addition of raspberries and sounded too delicious to pass up.  I was also intrigued by the substitution of oils and sugars for applesauce and honey. 

The original recipe came from Sally's Baking Addiction
and I made a few changes:

1 1/4 flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/8 c honey
1/4 c brown sugar
1 ripe, mashed banana
1/8 c cinnamon apple sauce
1 egg
1/4 c milk
1/2 c chocolate chips
1/2 c frozen raspberries

Combine honey and sugar.  Add in the remaining wet ingredients.  Add in dry ingredients and then fold in chocolate chips and raspberries at the end.  Save a few chocolate chips to add to the tops of the muffins for looks.

Recipe makes one mini muffin tin full of muffins.
Bake at 325 for 15-16 minutes


These muffins were tasty and a nice break from the ordinary.
They seemed perfectly festive to make for Valentine's week.

My whole family enjoyed them.
The raspberries were a fun pop of flavor and the muffins had a good consistency.
They were best the first day I made them and should be eaten right away.

What's your favorite healthy muffin to make?

4 comments:

  1. When I make muffins they are never healthy. Usually they come from a package. I've made homemade muffins before but they never taste as good as the package ones. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm counting calories so I need to look for some low calorie options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that the recipe only calls for one banana! Now I have something to do with the lone brown one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at muffins. I just love muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love using applesauce as a fat substitute!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.