Sunday, November 13, 2011

DIY Twix Bars

Twix are one of my favorite candy bars
so when I saw Emily at Cupcakes and Cashmere make her own twix
I decided to give it a try.
I used this recipe for homemade caramels.
I only made a forth of the recipe.
 Used my candy thermometer to make sure I did it correctly.
This was my first attempt at making caramels and I was thrilled with the outcome.
 I used these shortbread cookies from World Market.
 Let the caramel cool for about an hour.  
Cut it into slices and topped each shortbread with caramel.
I had to trim each strip of caramel from the loaf pan to fit on each cookie.
 I used one bag of high quality milk chocolate chips.
 These Guittard chips were HUGE and wold probably be delish in cookies!
 Once the chocolate was melted, I put a generous glop on top of the caramel.
Then I used a butter knife to make sure that the entire bar was covered.
Here's a profile shot of my twix.
 Yum!
Tips: My shortbread cookies were a little thick.
I'd recommend making your own shortbread or trimming the cookies before layering them.
Let bars cool for 30 minutes on parchment paper.
Remove bars and dip bottom of bars in the leftover chocolate on parchment paper.

1 comment:

  1. They look delicious! The homemade caramels would have been my fix. :) Mom

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.