Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Must See TV

Have you been watching any good shows lately?

I started watching shows in the evening instead of scrolling through my social media.  It's been a nice change of pace to lose myself in fun shows.  I never turn on the TV for me during the day.  I save all my TV watching time for late night after the kids go to bed.

Side note: My ornamental cabbages are GORGEOUS right now.  Everything else was taken down after some frosts, but these are still looking so nice.


Two shows my husband and I enjoy:
1. Friday Night Lights

We've made it through most of this series and just need to finish it.  It's got all the great elements - romance, high school football, drama, small town life, big dreams and complicated love stories.  It feels like the perfect show to watch in the Fall with football season in full swing.

2. Longmire

A modern day wild west show.  My inlaws recommended this show to us last summer and we're hooked.  We've almost finished the entire show.  It's so good.  I know we'll be sad to finish it.  Maybe it's because we loved living out west?  Maybe Longmire reminds me of my dad as a policeman?  Or maybe it's just a great show?  

We love the drama, the love stories, the detective work, the mysteries and the characters.  The show is filmed in mostly in New Mexico, but the surroundings look just like Wyoming.  We LOVE Wyoming and the wild west setting holds a special place in our heart.  Everyone is perfectly cast for their role and you'll find yourself hooked wanting to watch more (unless you're my sister haha)


My favorite shows:

Many nights I watch a show or two on my own after everyone goes to bed.  All of these shows are fun adult shows that I enjoyed, but would not watch with my kids.

1. Sweet Magnolias

I adored this sweet southern show.  My SIL recommended it to me and she was right - it's charming, all the characters are compelling and they've got season 2 in the works now.  It's very quintessential of life in the south - y'alls, southern foods, traditions, churches and small town drama.  I loved it and was bummed there's only 1 season to binge.  My sister did approve of this one.

2. Emily in Paris

I heard lots of people recommend this show and they were right.  It was great.  It feels very Devil Wears Prada combined with modern day adventures in Paris.  The characters are fun.  Emily gets herself in sticky situations and comes up with creative ways to remedy them.  She's smart, savvy and isn't afraid to make mistakes.  The fashion is great and it's a really quick watch.

3. Schitt's Creek

I've heard about this show for years and finally started watching it.  I blazed through it looking forward to watching it every night.  It's quirky, hilarious and charming.  The characters are really wonderful.  The show is awkward and so funny.  If you liked Arrested Development, this feels similar in the sense of awkward, quirky comedy, but it's very relatable.  All the characters deal with struggles and triumphs.  You will find yourself cheering for them and tearing up when their life gets hard.    You fall in love with their big personalities and you'll find yourself quote lines from the show or imitating their mannerisms in no time.  The show draws some big name actors and you come to love their little town of Schitt's Creek.  The six seasons will fly by and leave you wishing there was more.

4. Little Fires Everywhere

So much drama.  Scandals.  Injustices.  Reality.  Dirty secrets.  Wealthy.  Poverty.  Big time actress and mom Reese Witherspoon was the most fascinating Southern mom in this series.  She strives so hard for perfection in all aspects of her life.  She presents herself in a kind, caring manner, but you come to realize that her character is not so innocent in her intentions.  The shows were so interesting.  It gives you so much to think about by showing the same story line interpreted by various characters.  There was behind the scenes turmoil behind their picture perfect life that the viewer sees and the community where they live is shielded from.  It was super interesting and super crazy.  Google more about this one.

5. The Social Dilemma

I have only watched half of this documentary, but it was completely disturbing.  The amount of tracking, monitoring and spying your social media apps do on you is unnerving.  I haven't been able to make myself finish it because I'm really not even sure how to process all that I learned in the first half.  It felt violating to know how much of your online presence is tracked and rewarded or filtered.  I'm planning to finish it, but it's heavy stuff.  Definitely worth the watch.


What are you watching?  Any must see shows I need to start?


6 comments:

  1. I haven't watched any of those! Thanks for the suggestions! One of my favorite "comfort shows" is Hart of Dixie - for the same reasons you mentioned about Friday Night Lights and Sweet Magnolias. I'm such a sitcom rewatcher, so I'm usually making my way through The Office, Friends or Parks and Rec.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this list! We barely watch tv anymore - I guess bc our kids are older and watch with us most of the time? I miss it! Any of these appropriate for older kids? Jon and I watched FNL up until coach Taylor was moving / changing jobs and then we sort of fizzled out. Should we pick it back up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really enjoying classics from the 80s on Hulu: Golden Girls, Designing Women, and Cheers. Also enjoying Living Single and The Game. My husband and I have been watching Red Oaks, The Queen's Gambit, The Great, and Nashville together at night. Also, an all time favorite of ours is Burn Notice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Friday Night Lights! I don't have Netflix anymore, but have heard the creator of Social Dilemma on several podcasts. Social media is scary, and I think it responsible for the deep divide in our country right now. I remember when my news consumption consisted of 30 minutes of nightly news (without commentary) and maybe the Sunday paper. I miss those days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Sweet Magnolias and Emily in Paris! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mac likes Longmire, so I've seen episodes here and there. I saw an article where Longmire passed Murder, She Wrote for the highest murder rate per capita in the town, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.