Tuesday, June 2, 2015

When I Grow Up...

What did you want to be when you grew up?

I have ALWAYS wanted to be a teacher.

I played teacher when I was younger and would make my siblings go to school.
I read to them a ton, was a bookworm myself,
would make them do activities I'd planned
and there was never any doubt in my mind that I'd be a teacher.

I knew teaching was what I was born to do.
 
I didn't even consider any other profession.
I selected a college that was known for a great education school and didn't look back.


I really loved everything about the profession - teaching, organizing, planning, decorating, art, teaching all subjects, teacher friends, professional development, always learning, helping others and summers off :).

I loved getting my masters in reading and loved every second in the elementary school classroom.  I loved my students, parents and co-workers.  I enjoyed being a leader in my school and planning all the social functions.  I loved being on committees and being a part of the community I worked in.

Currently I am on a little classroom hiatus.
I'm a SAHM mom to my two year old daughter.
While I'm not in a traditional classroom right now,
that doesn't stop me from teaching.

I'm relying on all of my early childhood training and planning lots of fun preschool type activities for Olive.  She loves coloring, doing flashcards, learning her letters, singing songs, playing outside and going on field trips with me.  I love being her first teacher and am excited to teach her so many things.

I look forward to returning to the classroom sometime in the future 
and am thankful that my teaching career isn't limited to a traditional classroom right now.

Now it's your turn -
tell me what you wanted to be when you grew up!

Linking up with Momfessionals today

5 comments:

  1. I always wanted to be an elementary music teacher. I never followed that dream through... but I guess I kind of did! I teach all kinds of subjects as a home school mom.

    This was a fun post. I love it when people know what they want to do their whole life and do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were definitely created to be a teacher! Love how you adapted your teaching skills for mothering.

    I went through lots of phases of what I wanted to be....from a teacher, to a physical therapist...even a missionary to Turkey. Ha! The constant desire of my life was always to be a wife, and it's the thing that brings me the most fulfillment no matter what my vocation has been.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted to be a teacher too! Unfortunately I got scared away from it :( I went to school for computer engineering and it's not something I am passionate about. I still have my sights set on being a kindergarten aide when all my kiddos are in school.

    I love seeing your crafty posts! I can tell you are know the best ways for kids to make pretty things while still expressing themselves. You've had practice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to be a doctor until I got to college and realized that I hated my major.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! You are the best teacher for Olive! I wanted to be everything from a vet to a runway model - but IT was never on the list. Funny how things work out.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.