Monday, November 11, 2013

Mom Myth: Hospital Knows Best

As a new mom, I got sucked into the "HOSPITAL KNOWS BEST" myth when selecting a pacifier for Olive.  Our hospital gave us several of the Avent Soothie Pacifiers and many people I knew who recently had babies were given the same.  I assumed this one was somehow "the best" or that Olive should like it.  We bought several and exclusively used them for her first several months of life.  She really was not a fan.  I mistook her dislike of this specific paci for a general dislike of all pacis.  She had trouble holding it in, didn't really seem soothed by it and would only use it if we held it in for her.  I chalked it all up to the fact that she wasn't really a paci kind of baby.  This collage is a pretty accurate representation of Olive's thoughts on the Avent paci.
 After several months, I started to think about the assortment of other pacifiers we'd be given as shower gifts and got the idea to try out a different kind with her.  Olive LOVED her Dr. Brown bottles so I thought we'd start out by trying the Dr. Brown pacifiers.  Instantly, Olive was obsessed.  She sucked on and held it in perfectly.  She seemed so happy and I felt SO guilty!  Why didn't I think to try out a different paci before?!?!  Lucky for me she doesn't hold a grudge.  She's been using it for a few months now and is a huge fan.  They come in cute colors, seem to fit her mouth really well and are really easy for her to hold in.
 Lesson learned.  Listen to your baby and don't be afraid to try different brands/products if your baby doesn't seem to like something.  The products the hospital gives you are just suggestions and may not be right for your baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.