Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Fresh Blackberry Cobbler

We had an extra large wild blackberry crop this year and it was so yummy!

We probably picked 6-8lbs of blackberries and the kids tried hard to eat as many.

We noticed that the berries were much sweeter and bigger this year thanks to the composting we've been doing near the blackberry bushes and we got a lot of rain this Spring and Summer.


We picked, washed, sorted and let them air dry inside.  We used lots in smoothies, ate plenty straight from the bowl, froze some and made this cobbler.

Blackberry mixture:
Get two cups of fresh berries, cover them in sugar, juice of half a lemon and let them sit for a few hours.  Stir from time to time and it'll make the yummiest syrupy blackberry mix.

Use your favorite cobbler base.  I always use this one from my mom:

1 stick of butter melted in a greased 9x13 pan

Cobbler base:
1 1/4 c flour
1/4 t salt
3/4 c milk
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 cup sugar

Pour cobbler mixture over melted butter.  Then pour your berry mixture evenly over the top.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until golden brown.


Make a blackberry glaze while your cobbler is baking.  I used my blackberry bowl with remaining blackberry juice in it.  Added some confectioners sugar and a splash of milk.  It was such a pretty glaze.

Let it cool just a bit so your glaze won't melt away.

Once it's cool, let your kids drizzle on the icing.  Fletch always loves to help me in the kitchen.

This was best served warm with vanilla ice cream.  Next time I'll make the sugar and berry mixture in the moring allowing it to get extra juicy and then make the cobbler later on in the day.

This would be so good with any summer fruit!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is beautiful!! I've never made cobbler that way-- I usually make it like a crisp: fruit first, then topping over it like pot pie. I like your way better, going to try to remember it!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.