Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Grocery Pick Up Gone Wrong

Are you a regular grocery pick up person?

It's been life changing for this busy mom.  

We live out of the boundaries of almost all the grocery delivery options so grocery pick up really is the easiest, quickest way for me to shop.  I order groceries on the go or at home in my pjs and can just drive up and have my groceries loaded at Walmart.  I try to stick to the same store and just schedule pick ups as needed instead of the same day every week.  I have a favorite grocery pick up girl.  She saves me all the best promotions and favors and I leave her excellent reviews on the surveys which earns her bonuses and prizes.  We're besties and it makes me laugh to see her fight for my order when she sees my name pop up.

I've had some funny grocery pick up issues lately that I thought I'd show you how I navigate.  They are all easy mistakes that I have made or my shopper has made that I figure out how to fix.  I quit asking Walmart to substitute my items after they changed their policy.  They used to sub bigger items for the same price as the item you wanted for no additional charge.  Now it seems like they tend to upsize your substitutions which adds to your bill.


Here are a few examples of my grocery shopping gone wrong and how I fixed them:

1. I ordered a big bag of frozen berries.  I received 3 boxes of mixed berry powder drink flavor instead.  I started a return through the app and chatted with someone from customer service.  They refunded my missing berries (and refunded my bananas because they were bruised and busted open long before they were put in my car).  They also emailed me a $5 coupon for my troubles.  Everything was fixed through chat within probably ten minutes.  It took longer to process than usual because I had a damaged item AND a missing item.

2. I received 4 bags of mini cucumbers that were drippy and rotten.  They were gross and I processed a full refund through the app.  It was frustrating because it was obvious that they were rotten and the shopper should have caught that, but I remind myself that grocery pick up still saves me so much time.

3. If you get a damaged item or the wrong item, get your money back!  It's really easy to chat through the app or on their website and within 5-10 minutes you'll get a refund.

4. I accidentally ordered three 32 oz bags of shredded mozzarella cheese instead of one.  Yikes!  I figured it was a shopper error, but it was my error.  I didn't proof my order well enough before submitting it.  I ended up freezing one bag because so many of my instagram friends said they freeze cheese all the time and I wanted to give that a try.  Then we have been getting creative with all this shredded cheese.  Check out the dinners we have been having with it.  They were delicious and no cheese is going to waste.


Taco Salad

This Fresh Cravings Poblano Street Corn Dip is AMAZING.  I have repurchased it many times.  No one else at my house likes it so it's my special taco topping treat!

Pepperoni Pinwheels


Cheese Quesadillas

Carne Asada Pork tacos with homemade pico

Pork taco bowls

While I'd definitely recommend you double checking your orders before you submit them, it can be a fun menu challenge if you end up with a much larger quantity of an item that you were expecting.  Lemonade out of lemons, right!?


Do you have any grocery pick up gone wrong stories to share with me??

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE grocery pickup, especially for Aldi. I love pulling into the Aldi parking lot and then pulling back out with all my groceries before anyone else would have time to put their quarter in the cart return. Ha! The problem I run into with Aldi is that they use Instacart, and Aldi's "twice as nice" return policy doesn't apply to Instacart. It's nearly impossible to return or exchange something. I had a cashier tell me she'd do my return that time, but never again. Yikes. So it's risky, but it's worth it for the overall convenience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been doing pick up as much now, because I have a little more time on my hands. It sure is convenient though. We have walmart + (free through a credit card), and I have done the delivery once. It is nice, but you have to pay the driver a tip and that can be significant with a big order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t tend to do grocery pick up because I’m one of those weirdos that loves grocery shopping 😂 but it was so fun to read your tips and how you navigate issues here and there. You are a great shopper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get Walmart delivery and three times now they've delivered my order with a missing item. The day before Thanksgiving they returned my entire order back to the store and I ended up having to reorder from another grocery store chain, using InstaCart. Like you said, the refund process is easy via chat and for that last order where they returned it to the store they gave me a $10 off coupon and a $15 off coupon so, they do try to make amends, but dang...I just want my stuff that I order! I've been freezing to death for a week trying to get a space heart. Finally got one today, from Target, via Instacart. In case you're wondering, no I'm not lazy, I just don't have a car right now. :-D

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.