Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Yumbox Lunch Inspiration

Happy Tuesday!  I hope you had a wonderful, long weekend.  Kevin and Olive both had three day weekends so that was extra fun.  We didn't set alarms, stayed home for most of the weekend and my parents came to visit.  It was pretty chilly in Indiana.

I'm excited to share some ideas for fun kid lunches today.

We've talked about this before, but my 2020 lunch goals are: Send Kevin and Olive to school/work every day with a lunch that I've packed for them.  I think of it as a HUG FROM HOME.  I want them to feel loved, remembered and feel special when it comes time for them to sit down for lunch.  This mindset really helps give me JOY when I'm packing their lunches each night instead of thinking of it as one more chore I have to complete.

I know cute foods or fun lunches aren't everyone's cup of tea.  But I want to encourage you find one little way you could make your family feel special and loved during their days.  This works well for us since both Olive and Kevin are away most of the day.  I don't have any control over their days, but I do know that they'll get a smile when they open their lunch boxes mid day and realize I took the time to include their favorites just for them.

Yumbox Inspiration:

I pack lunches at night.  I do it right after I get the dinner dishes cleaned up.  It simplifies my nightly routine if I pack lunches when I'm still in food mode from dinner.  If I wait until the end of the night, I'm tired and much less enthusiastic about packing lunches.

I like to buy things in bulk at Sams to have ready to go for the week - Gardettos, Ritz crackers, carrots, etc.  I also chop veggies like carrots on the weekend so they are ready for the week.  I'll do batches of cooked pasta to refrigerate and grab from all week.  I cut cucumbers, prepare sandwiches and cut most fruit on an as needed basis.  I try to incorporate holiday things any time I can (Snowman crackers, holiday candy, holiday shaped foods, holiday colors, etc.)

Any questions for me?  Leave them in the comments!







If your children are too young for school or if you want to put together a fun lunch on the weekends when you're all home, I'd HIGHLY recommend ice cube tray meals.  My kids LOVE them and they're so easy.  I just fill the ice slots with all of their favorite things.



What are your favorite menu items for packed lunches??


You obviously do not have to have a Yumbox lunch box to create a special lunch.  They just make my life SO much easier.  No ziplocs, no tiny packages and very little waste.  They make lunch packing so quick and efficient. 

Here's a blog post with all of our favorite supplies linked: Protein Balls & Packed Lunches

5 comments:

  1. I may be a little late here, but I love your blog refresh! That font on your blog name is beautiful!! And your picture is just gorgeous. I love the pattern mix of stripes and leopard with some fun earrings!

    Three day weekends are the best. I had to work yesterday, but had zero complaints since I get to work from home! And, I had my boys to keep me company. A hug from home >> you are truly the best mom & wife. Hands down, you pack the best lunches! Every time you post one I’m like ‘that looks amazing!!’

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your yum boxes!!! I've just started doing lunches like these for Alice, and it's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a yum box for my 3 year old when she started going to preschool - my only question... do the chips and crackers and stuff get mushy in the fridge overnight? I'm always afraid to pack night before because I have this idea that everything will be mush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jen! Glad you have a yumbox of your own. They're wonderful! I have never had any trouble with the chips, crackers, sandwiches, cheese, etc getting mushy. I always pack them up the night before and they're still crunchy in the morning. Sometimes the fruit/veggies will have a little condensation in their compartments, but the other stuff stays totally dry. Good luck!

      Delete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.