Monday, January 27, 2020

Quick Quinoa Bowl

I've been trying harder to eat real food and fix real meals for myself for lunch (instead of snacking through lunch just grabbing what I can find).

I made this Quick Quinoa Bowl last week and it was DELICIOUS.

I've also been trying hard to use all the food in our pantry/fridge and planning meals around what I have on hand vs what sounds good in the moment.  It's helping cut down my trips to the grocery store while saving us money.  I am also thrilled to say that we are really cutting down on any food waste.

Ingredients:
Rotisserie chicken
onions
olive oil
Montreal Steak Seasoning

Broccoli
Cauliflower
Baby Carrots

Quinoa Mix
2 lemon wedges
feta cheese

Directions:
I did all of these things while also preparing Fletcher's lunch.  He ate something completely different.  Both meals were done at about the same time so we were able to sit down and eat together.

Follow the directions on the box of quinoa to cook it on the stove top.  I had to add water, olive oil and the seasoning packet and cook for about 14 minutes.  Aldi has really inexpensive boxes of quinoa.  It was under $1.  

Saute the first set of ingredients together in a skillet until the onions soften.  I had a mix of purple and yellow onions.

Steam fresh broccoli, cauliflower and carrots in the microwave.  I bought one of those mixed bags of fresh veggies from Sams.  I added them to a bowl of water and microwaved them for 6-8 minutes until they were tender.  Drain off the water.

This recipe is completely flexible and customizable to your own tastes or for whatever is in your fridge.  The rotisserie chicken makes it come together so quickly.  I didn't measure anything.  Just grabbed an amount that looked good to make two bowls.

Split the ingredients in half so that you end up with two servings.   Top with fresh lemon juice (instead of salt or soy sauce to add flavor) and feta cheese.  I ate one the day I made it and refrigerated the second bowl for lunch the following day.  It reheated perfectly!

Serves: Two Quick Quinoa Bowls




Also, some real life for you.  I always have a side kick with me.  On my camera roll of food pictures, I always have some pictures with toes in them :)  I didn't feel bad at all taking time to make a healthy meal for myself while also preparing a kid meal for Fletcher.  I want him to see me eating healthy foods that I love and taking the time to do things I enjoy like cooking.


Would you or your family enjoy this meal??

1 comment:

  1. When F is a teenager taller than you, you will love looking back at pictures of those little toes. :) This looks delicious. The quinoa mix would make it fast and easy!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.