Friday, January 24, 2020

Front Door Makeover

Do you LOVE the color of your front door??

I'm here to give you permission - if you DO NOT love your front door - change it!!

You'll be surprised at how easy it is.

We've lived in our house for almost 4 years and it was time for another front door makeover.

When we bought the house in 2016, our front door was original to the house, painted white and covered up by a storm door.  I had the storm door removed and picked out a BOLD blue to give our house some personality.  We loved it, but I've been anxious to change it.  You see, back in 2016, our house needed a lot of love and lot of personality/curb appeal.

Fast forward to 2020 and we've put 4 years worth of time, money and lots of love into our house and the door needed a change.  We now have beautiful landscaping, new trees in the front yard, new gutters, shutters and more.  The door needed to be taken down a few notches on the BOLD scale.

We stuck with another blue since blue compliments our roof and stone, but it's more of an understated, classy blue now.

The official color is Secluded Garden by Valspar.
We opted for the Valspar Season Flex Paint + Primer.  It came recommended by the lady in the paint department once we told her what we were painting.

It came from Lowes.  Kevin and I worked together one wild Friday night to pick out the new color.  Grown up dream come true - right!?!  I'd been wanting to do this project for a while, but kept talking myself out of it.  So dumb!  The project was so inexpensive and I'm so proud of how it turned out!  I did the whole DIY myself.

And we're in LOVE!

We spent under $20 on this makeover and have more than enough supplies to paint a couple more doors!

Front Door Painting process:
1. Wipe down your front door really well with a wet rag.  I used one that I could throw away.
2. Let it dry completely and put a towel down on the floor around your door to protect the area.
3. Open and stir your can of paint.
4. Start painting.  I painted in all directions.  Leaving the tricky parts (by the hardware and the windows for last).
5. I let the kids help.  They were thrilled.
6. Watch for any drips, keep a wet towel nearby for any drips or for wiping off the hardware, switch brush sizes as needed and then leave the door cracked open for at least 1-2 hours to dry completely.  Hold off putting your wreath back on the door for a day or two.  I didn't tape off the windows or hardware.  I just used my tiny brush and wet rag to paint around it/wipe off areas as needed.  It worked great especially since I didn't have straight lines to tape off.

Before: Pretty blue, but it was very BOLD.

The kids helped me paint and Fletcher told me to cheese for a picture.

I painted the door on a sunny/chilly day.  I had a space heater going to keep me warm and bundled up.  It took me about an hour to do the whole project thanks to those 4 detailed windows at the top of the door.  I'd imagine this project would go much faster if you have no windows are a less intricate/newer door.  I really love giving our vintage door some new life.

Supplies:
We bought the inexpensive brushes from Lowes and they worked great.  I think they were $4 and $2.  Then I just grabbed a tiny brush from our craft closet.

1 quart of paint was around $12.

So now I'm curious - what color is your front door?  And do you love it?

8 comments:

  1. Our front door is almost the exact shade of your before door! I love your new co!or, you did a great job. I'll have to keep that color in mind for any future front door makeovers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I loved the color before, but you're right - that new color is so pretty and classy. There's a home stager here who paints every front door of her staged houses a very similar color, and it's caused a major trend in this area. I love seeing her signature doors all over town. :) I need to paint our front door, so thanks for the helpful tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obsessed with your Front door makeover!
    It looks so so good and you are right-it’s crazy with just a little paint can do to the overall look of something!

    Happy Friday friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing!! And your wreath is so pretty too. Our front door is stained wood and I would like to paint it. I am always trying to figure out if both sides of the door need to be painted. What are your thoughts on that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love it. To me it looks like Tiffany blue! Way to go on doing the project by yourself. Our door is wood and new after the flood so I won't be changing it anytime soon. When we changed it, I picked a door with small windows at the top instead of the full door of glass like it was before. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! Our front door needs painting so bad!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.