Friday, January 17, 2020

Fiddle Leaf Figs 101

I've owned a Fiddle Leaf Fig plant for almost a year now.  It's one of my favorite statement pieces in our family room.  People often remark that they are surprised it is real.  It was a major deal from Walmart last March for $17.  I'm going to try to pick up another one this Spring since mine has done so well this year.  You can't

Many people comment to me that they wish they could have house plants.  They just aren't sure how to care for them.  I'm here to ENCOURAGE you to give indoor gardening a try!  It's not that complicated and just really takes trial and error to figure out what plants will do best at your house.

 Fiddle Leaf Fig Tips:
1. Fiddle Leaf Figs like sunny spots.  I try to rotate mine around when I vacuum that area so it grows straight.

2. They like to be watered more than once a week.  Mine will only produce new leaves if I water it twice a week.  I don't set reminders or have a specific schedule.  I'll just water it when I think about it.

3. The leaves are sturdy so my cats don't bother it.  They tend to play with or eat ferns which is why I currently have zero ferns.  We had to teach the kids how to be gentle with it after they broke off new leaf buds or poked their finger through an existing leaf.  They have learned to help water it and be careful with it over time.

4. I've heard of people having great success repotting their Fiddle Leaf Figs.  I have yet to do that, but it's on my radar now that it's been growing bigger for a year.

That's it!!


 Yay for new growth!!

The newer leaves are bright green.  With green being my favorite color, I just love the variety of greens in this plant.


If you're wanting a house plant that is a little smaller, but totally easy to grow, I can't recommend the pothos plant enough.  It's such an easy plant to grow.  I have two big ones in my family room.  They add such a pretty pop of color and are very low maintenance.  I have a neon green one and a variegated green one.  They were around $15 at Meijer a couple of years ago.  I only water them about once a month or when they start to look wilty.  They have tendrils that grow down.  They make a great house warming gift or a great plant to buy to build your indoor gardening confidence.



My kitchen window has several succulents in it.  Most are from the grocery store or farmer's market.  Three of them were decorations at Fletcher's dinosaur 2nd birthday party.  He'll be four this year so they're still going strong.  Succulents are a fun way to start an indoor garden.  They mostly like to be ignored.  Watering them only 1-2 times a month and giving them sun. 

I have not had great luck with longevity of my Aldi plant buys.  They offer a great variety of plants for very cheap, but they do not last as long as ones I've purchased at other stores.  I still buy them, but go into it knowing that they may not be the most hearty plants.


One last tip, don't be scared of plants.

Google best care tips for the plant you want.  Check if they're pet friendly if you have pets.  And then think of it as a fun new hobby to learn in the new year!!  You can do it!

2 comments:

  1. How fun to see the pops of green throughout your house. I got rid of fiddle leaf a few years back bc Chip (then a kitten) thought it was a second litter box. UGH. But I recently bought a new one and am excited to give it a go again. Thanks for the twice weekly watering tip - I’ve just been doing once :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiddle leaf figs are such a beautiful plant!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.