Monday, July 22, 2019

Avocado BLT

When we were in Wisconsin I ordered an ABLT on homemade sour dough bread.

I'd never heard of an ABLT, but when I read that it was an Avocado BLT, I knew I had to try it.

It was just as delicious as I'd hoped.  I briefly contemplated ordering one for the road.  Then I came to my senses, took note of all the details and did my best to recreate it at home.

Isn't that half the fun of traveling - trying new things and incorporating them into your everyday life?!?

Kevin and I love BLTs.  I had no trouble convincing him to go along with my plan.  He does not love avocado plain.  I ended up just leaving it off of his sandwich and he loved it.

Here's my inspiration:
ABLT from The Free House in Wisconsin


My step by step recreation:
Spoiler alert: It was a pretty great dupe!

Ingredients:
Loaf of sour dough bread
Thick cut bacon
Ripe avocado
tomato
lettuce
mayo
real butter

I attempted to thinly slice the sour dough, but that proved to be a challenge.  This was the best I could do.

Butter the bread

Toast the outsides on a hot skillet.

Fry the bacon.

Perfectly toasted.

Thinly slice the avocado, tomato and prep the lettuce.  Spread mayo on one side of the bread and start building your sandwich.



Yum!  It was the perfect Summer meal.  The extra steps of slicing your own bread, adding the avocado and using thick cut bacon really made the sandwich feel special without much extra work.


Have you ever had an ABLT??  You'll have to give this one a try!

4 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious, and what a fun idea to recreate a restaurant meal. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That just made my mouth water! I need to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely making this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a BLAT in the summer! They are already on my meal plan for next week.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.