Monday, September 3, 2012

Dear Mrs. Jordan

I figured out the perfect way to assess my student's initial writing abilities, 
find out more about them and check out their handwriting with one activity.
I asked them to write me a letter.
Dear Mrs. Jordan...
and then tell me what they were good at, what's hard for them at school, 
any goals they have for the year 
and what they are looking forward to in 3rd grade.

My students were very capable of doing this activity.
I told them they had to take at least 15 minutes on their letter.
Good way to prevent rushed, sloppy work.
Then asked them to WRITE!

Oliver and I were very interested in what these letters had to say.
 Nothing is hard for me... 
I'm very excited to be in school...
oh the confidence & enthusiasm of 9 year olds :)
 Well thank you!
 I love school = music to any teacher's ears.
 This is my favorite classroom... yay!!
 I want to get organized - you are in the right place :)
 Numbers give me a hed-ake - so sweet
 I have a confident crew.
 Great writing skills already :)
It will be so fun to be her writing coach!

This is the first time I've done this activity and I'll definitely be doing it again.
I'm saving it as my writing PRE assessment for the start of school and 
will reference it throughout the year.
I also learned a lot about my students and what is interesting to them.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite is the girl who's all "let me know if I'm unorganized." Too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww these are too sweet. love their handwriting :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.